Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Last night's lineup

A bit of a 'mini tasting' with good friends and really delicious food as well...

We started off with Teeling Small Batch Irish (46%ABV). I really like this one for its combination of crisp, spicy freshness and relatively high malt content. It starts off rather sharply, but quickly smooths out before gently tailing off on the finish. A nice beginning.

Next up was Balvenie 14 Year Old Caribbean Cask (43%ABV). I've never been a big fan of this version, as I find the Rum cask finishing somewhat detracts from those typically honeyed and spicy attributes (not to mention the complexity) I look for in any really good bottling of Balvenie. Nothing different on this occasion, alas. However, we did return to the bottle much later in the proceedings to pair it with dessert. It seemed quite a bit tastier then.

Onto Arran Port Cask Finish (50%ABV). No doubt about it. Arran, despite being in operation little more than two decades, is a great distillery. This whisky was all about sweet fruit (berries and, perhaps, apricots as well) bound to oak derived spiciness and just a tinge of the seashore. Very well done.

At this point, we transitioned over to Bourbon by sampling Woodford Reserve Double Oak (43.2%ABV). A mixed bag here. The flavour profile was nice enough... caramelized apples and some perky spiciness lurking in the background. But overall, the whiskey seemed a little flat and uninspiring. A decent session pour for all that.

Last, but definitely not least, we went for Booker's (this version aged 6 years and 4 months+ and bottled at over 64%ABV). The Booker's literally blew all of the others away in short order. A massive, yet surprisingly drinkable at full strength, monster. Tremendous complexity, too, and a finish that went on and on. Winner!

A good time was had by all.