Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Montecristo Serie V Mini Belicoso

"Ebb And Flow"

Montecristo Serie V Mini Belicoso from Dominican Republic
Size: 5 inches by 52 ring gauge (short Piramide)
Wrapper: Cameroon / Binder: Dominican / Filler: Dominican and Brazilian

Once again, this time thanks to a very thoughtful gesture by Jason (Cigar Weekly’s OregonDuck), I was able to sample another nation’s incarnation of a famous Cuban brand – Montecristo. I elected to fire up the Serie V Mini Belicoso one late autumn Friday evening, as snowflakes falling gently outside the window of the study signaled winter’s impending arrival.

The appearance of the Dominican evidenced great care in construction, with the minimally veined, toothy, smooth, Van Dyke Colorado capa tending toward a pure brownish hue darkened by sepia markings. The finely rendered taper of the vitola was finished in well-crafted fashion, and an ideal degree of resilience balanced the firm finger feel.

Nosing the unlit Montecristo revealed a predominant earthy characteristic, as well as faint notes of manure, wood, chocolate and spices, while drawing on the clipped end of the cigar elicited a simpler wood-tinged tobacco medley with a minty edge.

Once it had met the flame, the Mini Belicoso emitted scents of toasted tobacco, freshly baked black molasses bread, burnt toffee and spices.

The notably fine, pale to naval grey ash held resolutely before dropping, and once disengaged, left a perfect conical tip. The burn line maintained its perpendicularity, and the entire session lasted a little over 1 hour.

That slight sweetness perceived in the aroma also made itself felt in the opening flavours as it fused with a very well-integrated and silky tobacco taste. This duet was enhanced by drier overtones of cedar, mushrooms and country grass. Ascendant assorted woods and spices lent extra complexity and crispness.

Throughout the mid portion of the smoke, an ebb and flow between subtle dryness and demure sweetness occurred as the body slowly deepened from medium to medium-full. Bright and lively peppery touches emerged and then disappeared before the smooth, rounded and quite robust finale.

I quite enjoyed my encounter with the Montecristo Serie V Mini Belicoso, both in terms of its physical attributes and its flavour, and can imagine far less likable ways to while away an hour or so of one’s smoking time.

Recommended.