Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
ElkTwin

Carlos Torano Signature Toro

Carlos Torano Signature Toro
6X50
Filler - DR/Nic, Binder - Conn, Wrapper - Brazil

Encased in a snug sleeve of cedar veneer and adorned by two light colored bands with copper gilt edges, the Torano signature cuts a fine figure. The oily brown wrapper, sold as a Brazilian sun grown maduro, is medium brown in color and looks like a rosado tinted Cameroon having a dry feel, one obvious vein, and tiny tooth. The cigar had a nicely crafted cap which clipped smoothly. Pre light the head tantalized with a spicy hot bite on the tongue.

I lit one edge as a sort of a test, and the cigar displayed its excellent construction by evening out rapidly. Immediately I was treated to an edgy flavor, sharp and powerful. There was a mix of cocoa and slightly acidic coffee to enjoy as the cigar burned slowly and patiently down. The ash was light colored on the outside and dark in the middle, and it started to split and developed a lengthwise gap as it burned. This was a well rolled cigar that had a perfect draw and good smoke production. The spicy aroma was full and pleasant, and the finish was peppery and very satisfying.

This cigar was medium to full bodied and had nice complexity and depth. While the flavor did not really evolve as the cigar burned, it did slowly increase in strength. The cigar was medium in strength and had a very nice balance in the blend. Flavors included coffee grounds, bitter chocolate, and autumn leaves. It would have gone very well with an espresso or mocha, and I paired it to good effect with some spicy summer sausage and colby cheese.

This cigar was very nice to look at and a pleasant smoke. I would have appreciated a bit more variety in the burn, but the flavors were bold, crisp, and very good. This was one of the better non Cuban cigars I've had lately.

Appearance: 9/10
Construction: 10/10
Flavor: 18/20
Finish: 9/10
Smoking experience: 17/20
Aroma: 10/10
Overall impression: 18/20

Total: 91/100