Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 01-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #101
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Have you tried a Cohiba Siglo VI with Aberlour a'bunadh, a Bolívar Corona Junior with Ardbeg 10 Year Old or a La Gloria Cubana Médaille d'Or with Lagavulin Distillers Edition? (The latter is surprisingly successful, and goes to show that matching strengths between cigar and spirit isn't always written in stone.) Pairing the Bolívar Immensas with Auchentoshan Three Wood is also supposed to work very well.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #102
kevie49

I've tried all those whiskies and 2/3 cigars (not tried La Gloria Cubana Médaille d'Or) but not in the pairing your suggesting. I'm going to need to take a note. TBH when I tend to take a Cohiba cigar it is usually with a strong black coffee, they seem to go together well.
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #103
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

I recently had the opportunity to taste a malt from one of Scotland's newest distilleries, Wolfburn. Wolfburn Distillery is located in the vicinity of Thurso in the northern region of the county of Caithness. It is, in fact, the northernmost mainland distillery in all of Scotland, and has been producing spirit since 2013. Some four years on, its first whiskies are now hitting the marketplace. Shane Fraser, the enterprise's Distillery Manager, has years of experience in the industry, having held positions at Royal Lochnagar, Oban and Glenfarclas.

My notes on an early release reveal a malt whisky well worth taking note of...

46%ABV. No chill filtration or artificial colouring employed. Very clean palate delivery, led by notes of pears, apples, raw almonds and lime leaves. A faint touch of ethanol doesn't manage to disrupt the overall pleasant nature of the spirit. Good. I'm now certainly looking forward to longer-aged editions from this Caithness distillery.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:17 AM   #104
PCaponi
Herf Cop
Herf Meister

Doug, have you ever updated your books? Don't really drink the single malts anymore, but love reading about them.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #105
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCaponi View Post
Doug, have you ever updated your books? Don't really drink the single malts anymore, but love reading about them.
I have a considerable 'library' of formatted tasting notes and related whisky/whiskey information 'stockpiled' on my hard-drive, Phil, including two complete and relatively updated treatises. However, I've never attempted to go the printed route again since publishing those original books back in 2003.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #106
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Think about printing an on line book, lots of here would buy it!

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:00 AM   #107
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

A few more tasting notes, which may help to give readers an idea of various stylistic characteristics of whiskies from the distilleries mentioned...

Arran The Bothy Cask Strength (55.2%)
Sweet malt followed by dusty oak nuances and a hint of the seaside. Drinkable as it pours, but more open with a drop of water added.
Arran 14 Year Old (46%)
A lovely and lively expression from this excellent distillery, chocked full of citrus tinged malt sweetness and with just a hint of the sea to add to the freshness.
Caol Ila 10 Year Old Gordon & MacPhail Cask Strength, distilled 2004 (59.5%)
Loads of salt and smoke along with caper-like vegetal notes, followed by lemon and orange zest. Sweet malt finally makes an appearance near the finish line. Despite its relative youth and lack of a strong oak influence, this one is still deliciously appetizing.
Caol Ila 15 Year Old Unpeated (61.5%)
Bottled in 2016. Sugared blanched almonds, lemon custard and sweet malt to the fore. Not one single iota of smokiness, and just the tiniest hint of Islay saline lurking in the background. Amazingly palatable at full strength. I'd love to try pairing this one with galaktoboureko!
Edradour Caledonia 12 Year Old (46%)
Very, very good Highland taste profile, with the flavours unfolding in a composed fashion. Slightly more edginess than the standard 10-year old release, and perhaps just a tad less overall roundness and succulence. Totally enjoyable nonetheless.
Glenfarclas 105 (60%)
A 'big' no-age-statement malt, to be sure, with some bite on the palate before the whisky settles and opens up in the glass. Reliable as ever, although not quite as well constituted and ultimately Sherry cask rich as the older 10-year old 105s (now discontinued). Certainly one to reckon with, however.
Glen Garioch 12 Year Old (48%)
Richly malty with an undercurrent of earthiness. A solid eastern Highlander.
Glen Garioch 1995 Cask Strength, bottled 2012 from 1st-fill Bourbon barrels (55.3%)
A bit of a surprise for me, as the pours off the top of the bottle seem much less fruit-driven and significantly more spirit-charged than I've experienced with previous bottles. A 'Christmas' kind of dram, with oodles of peppermint and ginger leading off the flavour brigade. Very, very good, despite the 'surprise' factor.
Glenlivet Nadurra (59.1%)
Released in 2016, and drawn from first-fill ex-Bourbon casks. Silky and engaging at full strength. Clean and sumptuous. Strangely (given it's a no-age-statement bottling), this one seems more rounded and less 'exciting' on the palate than the previous (now discontinued) 16-year old versions. Quite excellent nonetheless.
Glenrothes 1995, bottled 2014 (43%)
Honeyed pear fruit. Lime zest. Oak-derived spices. Refined and balanced.
Glenrothes 1995, bottled 2015 (43%)
As silky as they come. Solid, sweet malt core (pear fruit, mostly) with the oak perfectly integrated, as one would expect from a whisky with some two decades of ageing under its belt. Faint hints of lime zest and spring meadows peek through periodically. Not one to rush.
Kilchoman Machir Bay (46%)
The purity of the distillate is noteworthy. Lovely integration of peat and malt. I've yet to have anything less than tasty from Kilchoman.
Kilkerran (Glengyle Distillery) 8 Year Old Cask Strength (56.2%)
Very Lowland in character. Clean distillate. Subtle notes of garden greenery playing off a sweet maltiness, which seems even more pronounced the second time around. The barest hint of coastal brininess in the background. Perfect with a couple of drops of water.
Pittyvaich 1993, bottled 2012, Gordon & MacPhail Connoisseurs Choice (46%)
From a refill Sherry hogshead. Tart apples lightly dusted with sugar. Spring meadows. A touch herbal. Tree bark and ginger notes along with faint hints of cedar and cigar box. Spirited and piercing. Quite dry.
Royal Brackla 12 Year Old (40%)
Demure pear fruit sweetness shifting to a sharply defined and quite peppery demeanour as it unfolds. Medium bodied.
Royal Brackla 1995, bottled 2011, Gordon & MacPhail Connoisseurs Choice (46%)
Full gold in appearance. Pineapple, lemon preserve, brioche and forest undergrowth on the nose. Richly malty and quite spirited on the palate. Toasted oak with a spoonful of honey. Medium weight. The finish is spicy and dry, yet still with some residual sensations of fruitiness.
Scapa Skiren (40%)
Sweet, sweet malt balanced by a noticeably peppery input from the first-fill ex-Bourbon casks. Youthful (no age statement, alas) and vibrant. What seems to be totally absent, though, is any sign of those maritime flavours I look for in Orkney whisky.
Talisker 57 North (57%)
Macerated peaches. Pebbles by the sea. Kelp. Peat. Brilliant.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #108
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Ok, I'll bite. What the hell is galaktoboureko? Sounds like a Klingon ordered it.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 05:49 PM   #109
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Greek (also Middle Eastern) dessert of custard baked in filo. Delicious!
Old 03-28-2022, 01:03 PM   #110
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I googled it. Does sound tasty.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote