Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
CJ3
Club Member

Perdomo Exclusivo – Eminencia $1.81 per cigar

PROLOGUE

Ah, now that my service on the recent blind review panel is over, I’ve regained the time needed to resume my search for the best cigar $2 USD can buy!

JR’s late, lamented, June catalog provided me with mucho grist for my $2 cigar mill! The June JR catalog described the Perdomo Exclusivo as handmade in Nicaragua by Tabacalera Perdomo, with a blending of three local Nicaraguan fillers, including a Pereze La Pequeno ligero. The cigar is wrapped in a Connecticut Shade wrapper, and was touted as a creamy, smooth smoke.

For consistency’s sake, I’m trying to stay with a Robusto or Epicure size, about a 5 inch x 50 ring gauge cigar. This size is also typically the least expensive, broadening my selection in the $1.50 to $2.49 range. The $10 off per box offered in the catalog was apparently a great deal, for when I ordered, the closest to a Robusto left in stock of these Perdomo’s was a 6 x 44 ring gauge. My final price, including shipping was $1.81 per cigar.

PRE SMOKE APPEARANCE & CONSTRUCTION

The Perdomo Exclusivo Eminencia I sampled was a 6.00 x 44 ring gauge smoke with a natural wrapper. Each cigar is individually wrapped in cellophane and sports a large, bold, black and gold cigar band. The wrapper was dark brown, rather smooth, and was capped with a curly head.

The cigar gave off a relatively pleasant, woodsy, pre-light aroma, almost like fresh cut wood chips, or a dry mulch. The draw was quite firm, perhaps related to the humidification, or the smaller ring gauge. Overall, quite a nice and inviting appearance and aroma.

Score: 3.75

SMOKE - BURN and DRAW

The cigar burned somewhat unevenly, and at a slight angle. The ash was a light gray, with a fairly typical, unremarkable structure. When the cigar was tapped, it revealed a pronounced cone-shaped coal.

Score: 2.8

SMOKE – FLAVOR and TASTE

I smoked my Perdomo Exclusivo indoors, accompanied about halfway through by a Coffee and Hazelnut Cream Liquor. The medium bodied flavor that clung to the tongue seemed a bit “muddy” to me. There was nothing particularly distinctive about it. Perhaps it was too much of a compromise, neither too light nor too strong? More age might be the answer here. Regardless, it certainly seemed to lack any real depth of flavor or character. It did however, pair decently with my Coffee and Hazelnut, but honestly, what doesn’t?

Score: 2.1

SUMMARY COMMENTS
All in all, not really my cup of tea, and not something I’d be comfortable recommending. To be honest though, I’ve never been much of a fan of Nicaraguan tobaccos , and I have a great preference for either DR’s or Hondurans. I guess the promise of a medium-bodied smoke, with a Connecticut wrapper, motivated me to try once again to extend my palate to include the Nic leaf, but to no avail!

However, someone out there must enjoy this cigar, as when I ordered, all the natural wrappers were nearly sold out on JR’s website! Therefore, while I’ve not found my favorite $2 cigar, it looks like I might have found a decent CW trade. So, send me a PM if you’d like to swap a dozen of these Perdomo Exclusivo’s for whatever you may have laying around that you think I might like, or feel I should try!

Overall Score: 2.9 (out of 5)