Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
Spiderfan

ichthus blind PIF reviews (4 cigars reviewed)

Having taken part in ichthus' blind PIF, I though I'd post my results here if anyone is interested in some blind reviews (also posted on the PIF thread).

OK...got my cigars from Mealstrom (many thanks ). Here goes the blind reviews.

No. 1

A nice looking, medium brown cigar...a bit of an odd size. Box pressed, 5 x approx 46. This cigar looks like either a thin robusto or a fat PC.

Once clipped, this cigar has a faint anise flavor on the pre-draw and what tastes like some good quality Nicaraguan tobacco. This cigar is fairly strong with forward black coffee and dark tobacco flavors. While the cigar is strong, the aroma is light and floral ... there is a good mix of tobacco in this one.

This smoke picks up some earth flavors (Nic. tobacco) towards the end.

I'd give this a 8.7 out of 10.

Given the odd size, this one was tough to guess. My thoughts were that this was something from Rocky Patel (Sun Grown, Vintage, etc...).

In reality, this was a Monte Peruvian Buena Fortuna EMS.

No. 2

A 5 x 42 petit corona with a rough, uneven wrapper. The pre-light was neutral and the cigar has a good draw.

Oh my god...once lit, this thing almost killed me. Sour, bitter...just a terrible cigar. I put it out after less than 2”.

Turns out this was a Consuegra...oh well got a bad one. That's the thing with Conies, sometime they good, sometimes they are bad. This was really a bad one.

No. 3

No. 3 is a good looking 5 x 50 robusto with a nice, sandy -brown wrapper. The cigar has a neutral pre-light flavor and just a bit of a loose draw. Once lit I detected solid Honduran flavors and a light, chalky note.

About ½ way through the chalky notes are replaced with some pepper and coffee. This cigar is consistent to the end with a nice finish that never got bitter. The cigar put out a lot of smoke, but the aroma was fairly neutral.

This cigar reminded me of a milder version of a Camacho Diploma. Maybe a Diploma, maybe something else from Camaco.

I give this a solid 8.5 out of 10.

In reality, this was a Cusano Corojo '97 Robusto. If you like Diploma's, you might want to try these.

No. 4

Last, but not least, a 6 x 50 toro with a maduro wrapper. The wrapper had several huge veins and a noticeable toothy texture. The cap was much darker that the remainder of the cigar.

Pre-light flavors showed just a hint of coco and coffee. A nice draw and good construction throughout.

Once lit, the toro has flavors of bread dough, wheat and vanilla. The smoke was thick and heavy, but the flavors were light. At the ½-way mark the cigar showed a bit more strength and some of the coco flavors of the pre-light. Nearing the end, some white pepper showed up, but the last 1” or so got hot and bitter.

Overall a nice, medium-light maduro. Again, a solid 8.5 out of 10.

In the past, I've had a ton of JR Ultimates. Many of them had dark caps like this cigar and the flavor profile is similar, although this sample is a bit milder. So, I'm guessing a JR Ultimate Toro Maduro.

In reality, this was a JR Alt: Ultimate Toro. I'd have to say that this was the best Alt I've ever had. Not bad for $22.95 / bdl 25 at JR's.

A fun experiance all around, I'd have to say it's tough to guess exact cigars, but I'm getting good at identifying different types of tobacco (Honduran vs Nic for example.

Thanks again to Mealstrom and to ichthus for starting this adventure.

Enjoy.