Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2006, 03:17 AM   #1
kosmen

Punch Punch (Cuba) review

PUNCH PUNCH:
Cuban 2003 (Stored 70deg/65RH)

02/06/06: Start: 11:05PM Finnish 12:15PM

Food: After a great pizza I retired to have a great smoke (Combo W/pineapple.

Drink: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale / Arrowhead bottled water

Location: Garage at my computer with the door cracked slightly for ventilation.

Pre light aroma: There were faint floral traces from the cigar and the slightest hint of coco.

Construction: This was a near flawless cigar! Coco brown wrapper and when cut drew very well. It just ever so slightly crackled between my fingers.

Light: The Xikar cigar cutter that my wife gave me for Christmas made an exemplary cut. It left no jagged tears in the leaf and did not hamper the cigar quality in any way whatsoever. I used a Colibri torch lighter and toasted the foot. The cigar lit perfectly and burned straingt but needed correction several times.

Taste: The initial draw was an immediate flavor of heavy cream and macadamia nuts. No change ¼ ways through the cigar. It had a nice grayish black ash that held tight. There was voluminous smoke upon each draw. I soon realized that the Pale Ale was doing NOTHING for this cigar and I switched to some bottled water. I had set the cigar down for about 5 minuets and it almost went out. Upon relight it was a little harsh so I relit and exhaled through the cigar for about twenty seconds. This seemed to help quite a bit. Half way through and the power started to kick in. It became slightly earthy and more leathery with the same heavy cream and nut flavor. I was concerned about a distinct aftertaste that was uncharacteristically not Cuban. I couldn’t lay my finger on it immediately but it smoked, smelled, and tasted like a Cuban. It only had the slight Cuban twang I am accountomed, but did have some. Almost ¾ through the stick I came to realize that the “aftertaste” was akin to drinking whole milk which leaves a thick taste lingering in your mouth. I can’t say I liked the aftertaste, but it only lingered for about 10 seconds after each draw. I had to correct the burn twice, but this cigar was rarely if ever rotated and that may be the cause of the uneven burn. I let the cigar expire on its own and the room smelled wonderful even after 20 minuets.

Synopsis: I enjoyed this cigar and while it may not be my “go to” piece I would not be against purchasing a box. On a 1-10 rating with 10 being the highest I would give this cigar a 7.5. I was thinking it would be a perfect smoke for after a light meal, such as fish or grilled chicken. I would not have this after a big juicy steak. This was the first cigar that I can say that I actually tasted all the flavors that many speak about when reviewing a cigar.

Kosmen
kosmen is offline   Reply With Quote