Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2004, 08:55 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro Toro

"A La Carte"

Indian Tabac Box Pressed Super Fuerte Maduro Toro from Honduras
Size: 6 inches by 52 ring gauge
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf (Maduro)
Binder: Honduran (Colorado Claro)
Filler: Honduran, Nicaraguan & Costa Rican

I honestly didn’t have the faintest inkling what to expect when selecting the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro Toro for an after-dinner session. This represented the very first time I’d smoked a non-Cuban vitola with such a dark wrapper leaf. How, I pondered, would it compare to the Edicion Limitadas? I was soon to find out.

My initial discernment of differences between the Honduran and its Cuban counterparts centered upon physical attributes. With an elliptical and quite pronounced box-press as well as a deeply-set and cambered cap, the Super Fuerte felt slightly ‘foreign’ in my fingertips. It was, nevertheless, comfortable to hold.

The rich, Morado wood hued capa grew a darker Van Dyke brown as it wrapped its way around the natural walnut toned capote and on toward the foot. Furthermore, the Maduro capa’s veins seemed almost suppressed, as if they had been ironed flat. A dispersed crystalline iridescence stood out from the otherwise generally sombre surface tone.

Notwithstanding its unique shape and appearance, the Toro exhibited an admirable leaf density, being resilient on the outside yet firm on the inside.

The Super Fuerte burned rather satisfactorily, as well. Throughout the session, the ash would disengage a little beyond the one inch mark, continually revealing a blunted conical tip. Though the colour of the central portion of the ash altered from a blackish grey near the beginning to a much lighter medium grey close to the end, the superficial portion of the ash retained a very pale grey hue throughout. Some scalloping about the burn edge necessitated minor corrections, but that was the sum of it. The draw was just fine, being neither constricted nor overly free-flowing.

I found the aroma of the Maduro Toro, both pre-light and post-light, most alluring. Prior to meeting the flame, the cigar gave off scents of dark bittersweet chocolate, fruit pastilles, moist fertile earth and old cedar closet. Once underway, it exuded a more pungently leathery, raisiny and winey aroma reminiscent of Caribbean blackcake.

The flavour began in a smooth and cedary fashion before toasted tobacco tastes gradually escalated in intensity. Around this tobacco-and-wood core danced a variety of secondary sensations, including Yemen Mocha Mattari coffee grounds dusted with allspice, roasted whole almonds, smoked spices and vanilla. There was also a barely perceptible candied quality which lurked in the background.

The steadily increasing richness and power possessed an almost Bolivaresque strength, though the cigar remained essentially medium-bodied. I took special note of the cigar’s remarkable balance between sweetness and dryness, as well as its conspicuously tannic constitution.

So what of that comparative question vis-à-vis the Edicion Limitadas? Well, the Super Fuerte is obviously a beast of a different breed in terms of its demeanour, with a certain artificiality about its delivery of flavours and the manner in which those flavours fail to totally knit together. Yet there’s no denying the Maduro Toro’s tremendous vibrancy. This is not a dull smoke!

As to whether the Super Fuerte's flavour elements might further integrate with age, I can offer little insight except to say, "Perhaps."

A very special thank-you to Docrks for giving me the opportunity to taste this most interesting cigar.
Roman, I’m still scratching my head over this one.