Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2002, 01:39 PM   #1
pelonegro
Club Member

Thursday was our 21st anniversary and I took my wife out for drinks, dinner, then checked into a suite at the old Dallas hotel where we spent our wedding night 21 years ago. Now, the highlight of the evening was not cigars , but I did have a couple of exceptional smokes for the occassion.

We started the evening in The Library, a nice little cigar-friendly piano bar in the Melrose Hotel. Ahh! Low-lighting, comfy wingback chairs, conversation with my lovely green-eyed wife and a PUNCH PUNCH. Smoked with a smidgen of sweet coffee, some leathery qualities and spice, perfect draw and burn which perfectly accompanied three glasses of Macallan. A great beginning.

On to Bob's Chophouse: great steaks and smashed potatoes, but not a place for conversation. The acoustics makes this a better venue for a rowdy party of guys than for an intimate dinner with a lady. No cigars here.

Checked into the hotel and got an amazing surprise. I had brought a Padron 64 Monarca for this portion of the evening, but when I got into the room, I found that the-best-neighbor-ever had snuck in before me and left a PADRON 1926 NO. 1 waiting for me!

My mate changed into a little gift from Victoria's Secret and we settled onto the sofa for a nightcap, smoke and conversation. The Pad'26 was a great cigar, no doubt, but maybe my expectations were too high.

It's a beautiful cigar and burns and draws like a dream. Great taste: woodsy flavor, subtle strength and agreeable spiciness, but it compares more closely to the Anniversary line rather than to the Millennium, which was what I was kind of hoping for. No sign of that darkly sweet finish I like in Pad 64s. Nice smoke and I thoroughly enjoyed trying it, but to be fair, perhaps I was a little distracted by my lovely wife.

A perfect night, though. To paraphrase the motto of a soft drink,
"things go better with smoke."

Edited by - pelonegro on 11/18/2002 7:23:45 PM