Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Herf's Up!!

Herf's Up!! A room dedicated to the announcement and discussion of herfs.

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #11
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I promised Katie, who was born on Ash Wednesday 2002, that I would take her to Mardi Gras 2018, which falls on her 16th birthday. Maybe we can get together then?

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #12
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I promised Katie, who was born on Ash Wednesday 2002, that I would take her to Mardi Gras 2018, which falls on her 16th birthday. Maybe we can get together then?
Well, certainly. I can't really come up with a scenario where you bring your family down here for more than one or two days and we can't carve out time to be together, J.

Without getting too detailed, I can tell you that James marches in three parades during the Mardi Gras season. The first is usually on the first weekend of parades. Then they march in Le Krewe d'Etat on the Friday before (I'll likely chaperone in this parade) and Endymion on the Saturday before. We avoid Endymion at all costs, simply not worth the time and trouble.

The rest, we'll take you or meet you if we can.
The Sunday of Mardi Gras, we usually go out to Magazine St. and Napoleon Avenue, it's a bit crowded, but there are fairly easy exit routes, St Stephen Church or the HEY Café (coffee shop) for restrooms. We often park somewhere the night before and work out a ride after.

Mardi Gras, IF we go, we go on the Avenue in front of Superior Grill, a block from Touro. Again, usually space to spread out, and can park within two blocks if you can believe it. Not too far or too unlike parking at Frank Hayne's house.

This top is partly for those who constantly tell us they want to come for the herf, then "dang, I can't swing it..." I'll update again in a month or so, and keep reminding people of the likely dates. Week after Easter is now our custom unless Keith and Mary say different.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 07-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #13
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Frank's widow lives at Second and Magazine, a few blocks away from their old homestead. We're likely going to stay with her. When it gets closer, we'll work out the details. I want to go to Endymion in the old neighborhood. We're going to be driving in on Friday, so we may make d'Etat. Orpheus, Baccus, Rex and Zulu are the others on the plan, and we'd leave after Rex. Katie will have missed 3 days of school by then and I will want to get back Tuesday night so she doesn't miss anymore.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #14
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

You'd be a pretty good walk, but not unreasonable from wherever we'd go.
Endymion in your old neighborhood, IMO, is almost too much for the Jason of 2018, sad to say. Imagine it as you remember, now multiply the people and traffic by about 3. It really is, now, almost a 2 day affair.

The Seminarians get out there on Thursday night or Friday during the day and stay out there, even having Mass at sunrise or thereafter on Saturday morning.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 07-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #15
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Yeah, I am having a hard time separating want to from can do these days.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #16
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

I don't want you to feel like you've disappointed yourself and Katie if you cant manage the whole thing. Be prudent, and yall will have a tremendous time.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #17
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

KEITH!! When is ths 2018 Herf?

Week after easter, April 8?
Is it for sure, I want to finally make it, life is short.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by TommyBB; 10-13-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:13 AM   #18
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
Week after easter, April 8?
Is it for sure, I want to finally make it, life is short.
Correct. Weekend after Easter. wait...I see Easter is early next year....so it wont be the weekend after...it will be April 19-22, main even is the 2oth and 21st, but we usually have folks around the whole weekend ...
Old 10-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #19
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

Will y'all be firing up Blunts on 420 Day?
Old 10-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #20
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTwin View Post
Will y'all be firing up Blunts on 420 Day?
You donate it, I am sure someone here will smoke it. Y'all that know me well, know I'll smoke damned near anything, and have.