Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

Vertical Tasting of Punch Corona Gordas

Your mileage may vary:

Black Prince:

MRN says this is the mildest of the 4. For me--it had good hints of Cuban taste and aroma; a little chalky/dry; VERY good; A great box-press; got even better near the end.

It's my luck that this turned out to be about my most favorite with enough flavor, aroma, and strength to be exceptional, not under-whelming, but not too much of any one thing.

Punch:

MRN says this is the 2nd mildest. For me--good aroma, but not as much taste as the Black Prince. Ranks as #4 out of the 4.

Royal Selection #11:

MRN says this is the 2nd strongest. For me--it had a heavy flavor and aroma with a great deal of strength from the very beginning; with a heavy Havana taste. Enjoyable, but 3rd on my list out of 4.

Super Selection #2:

MRN says that this is the strongest of the 4. For me--I could taste the strength, and the potential for strength, but it was not very flavorful. I find this unusual for a Cuban cigar, which usually has a proportionate amount of taste and flavor to the strength. Non-Cuban cigars are more notorious for all strength and no flavor, but not Cubans, in my experience.

At the first, it was a little chalky, but the last 3rd was GREAT--really flavorful and heavy with strength--enough to make up for the previous two thirds. For those of you that pitch a cigar because you don't like the way it tastes in the beginning and won't continue to smoke it to see if gets better, thereby risking smoking a shitty cigar--with this cigar I can only pity you. The last 3rd was worth the very slight disappointment it took to get to it.

Still--#2 after the Black Prince for me.

Your mileage may vary.