Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
T2P

Camacho Triple Maduro

Well it is Christmas Eve, dinner is done as well as the late night church service. To cap off the night I decided to break out a Camacho Triple Maduro Torpedo.

I must say that just looking at this cigar gives me a warm feeling all over. Adorning this cigar’s onyx wrapper are two brilliant silver bands, one of which is rather wide and ornate located in the standard position near the head. The other is a narrower one encompassing the very base of the foot. Contrasted with the very dark Maduro wrapper it presents a beautiful appearance. Chalk one up to Camacho branding.

Inspection of the wrapper yielded a very rough appearance. The leaves themselves are very rugged in that they have many raised bumps (pin sized) across the entirety of the leaves. There is one large vein that winds around the entire cigar and resembles the effect that a barber pole style smoke presents although it is definitely not top leaf’s edge. The cigar is also incredibly firm with almost no give. In addition the cap, while secure, appears a little poorly constructed in that a couple of the edges towards the foot end are raised and crinkled. Despite this, however, the cut is perfectly clean and the cap remained intact through the entire smoke.

Prelight, the draw is perfect. Before even toasting the foot I could gather pepper flavors. Also, taking a whiff of the foot and wrapper I noticed a slightly nutty and pleasant fragrance.

Toasting the foot and taking the first couple puffs exhibits a strong pepper flavor as noted in the prelight. Included with this is a high level of spice. The smoke from this cigar is very dense and white gray. It has a very creamy consistency and has a coating effect on the mouth that is unique and not at all unpleasant.

As it progressed, the flavor profile smoothed out some and the spiced pepper mellowed to reveal a woody presence. At about 1/3, an espresso tone surfaces. I am really enjoying this one so far. The burn to this point has been a bit erratic but by wetting the faster burning area I was able to keep it under control without touchups.

Heading into the halfway point cocoa shows and coupled with the espresso and pepper it is a very pleasant profile. The pepper reasserts its dominance about 2/3 in and remains through the remainder as the prevalent flavor. The firm construction of this cigar produced a very stable ash. In fact I only needed to use the ashtray twice and both times I needed to tap it rather firmly to get it to fall.

Overall, this was an excellent cigar. While rough in feel and appearance, the draw was perfect, the ash held fast, and after slowing the initial unevenness, the burn was sharp. Due to the complex flavor profile I would add more of these to my humidor if they were available at a reasonable price point.