Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Bolivar Petit Corona

Bolivar Petit Corona
From SLB, Issue Date June 2006

(I lit up this sample July 2, 2008 on the cottage dock in the mid afternoon.)

This particular Bolivar Petit Corona came enrobed in a beautifully marbled, oil-infused outer leaf that melded tones of teak and black walnut with darker mottled areas and veins etched in burnt umber.

Despite a very compact roll density, the draw was only slightly resistive. The cigar burned a little unevenly in the breeze, but not disconcertingly so, and the ash was a blackish grey hue.

The Petit Corona opened with sensations of black pepper and black earth wrapped around a solid core of toasted tobacco. Subtle surges of spearmint were interspersed throughout the early portion of the smoke.

Further into the session, the cigar settled into a signature Bolivar profile of piquancy fused to bittersweet tobacco.

The earthy aspect expanded toward the finish, acquiring leathery overtones in the process.

Having lit up quite a few of these mid 2006s, I continue to be impressed by how approachable and well balanced they are. For relatively small cigars, they exhibit a lovely tempo as well as a surprising degree of complexity. And one can't help but enjoy the manner in which their flavour gradually gains in depth over the course of smoking.

On this occasion, I elected to pour some 10-year old Ardbeg, which remains one of my favourite accompaniments for both the Bolivar Petit Corona and Corona Junior. The juxtaposition of citrus-tinged malt and pronounced peat of this Islay classic always seems to manage to highlight the overall stylistic presentation of the two Bolivars.