Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 01-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #1751
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Oban 14 Year Old tonight.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #1752
scubadoo97
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
What a bargain!

Agreed
Old 01-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #1753
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I'm time shifting the Saints game to run some errands and get my daughter's new phone activated. The package store is behind the phone store, so I'll pick something up to enjoy with the game when I get home.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:07 AM   #1754
solomr2
Herf Meister

Not super peaty, a bit light, with a hint of apple and mint on the finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 05:26 AM   #1755
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomr2 View Post
Not super peaty, a bit light, with a hint of apple and mint on the finish.
Sounds like a fairly decent apéritif-style Scotch... or perhaps a good 'links' pour.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #1756
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Back to the Oban 14 Year Old tonight.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #1757
beevod
Herf God

Macallan 15 yr. (addicted)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #1758
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Saturday evening follow-up at a gathering of friends...

Kilkerran (Glengyle Distillery, part of the Springbank stable, Campbeltown region of Scotland) 8 Year Old Cask Strength (56.2%): Very Lowland in character. Clean distillate. Subtle notes of garden greenery playing off a sweet maltiness, which seemed even more pronounced the second time around. The barest hint of coastal brininess in the background. Perfect with a couple of drops of water.

Auchentoshan Three Wood (aged in Bourbon, Oloroso and then Pedro Ximénez casks, Lowland region - 43%): Better than the last bottle I'd opened, with the wine-oak influence not as overbearing and far better balanced. Smooth and almost creamy in texture. Notes of raisins, furniture polish and some citrus as well.

Arran The Bothy Cask Strength (Isle of Arran - 55.2%): Yet another excellent expression from this distillery. Sweet malt followed by dusty oak nuances and a hint of the seaside. Drinkable as it pours, but more open with a drop of water added.

Benromach 10 Year Old 100ş Proof (northwestern Speyside region - 57%): A rich mouthful of deliciousness. Brilliant integration of Bourbon and Sherry cask maturation, with the latter reminiscent of Macallans of old. Vanilla characteristics alongside Oloroso spiciness (cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon). What great Highland malts used to taste like, and fewer nowadays do. Two drops of water expand the whisky in the glass.

La Serpiente Emplumada Extra Ańejo Tequila (40%): Definite Bourbon barrel richness and smoothness. I'd have been hard pressed to pin this one as a Tequila if tasted blind, as it seemed more like a cross between a Canadian and an American whisky in demeanour. Only the faintest green vegetal note on the finish gave it away. Perfect with churros!
Old 01-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #1759
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Glenfiddich 14 Year Old Rich Oak... Nabbed a fresh bottle yesterday as this particular malt may be in the process of being discontinued.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:54 AM   #1760
solomr2
Herf Meister

Friday Scotch Tasting

Very broad list Doug.

We have a local liquor store that hosts tastings every few weeks by invitation. They setup tables outside on a paved path around the lake, and they bring out multiple bottles of whisky, wine, and other spirits.

I went to one last month because they were featuring Campbeltown malts from the Springbank stable, and Tullibardine, both of which are new to me.

To my surprise Glenlivet was also present, and they were closest to the door with Founders and 18 YO. Being a fan of Speyside malts I couldn’t be rude to the lovely hostess, so Founders was first. It was light and refreshing, with notable apple tones and some toffee on the short finish. The 18 YO was quite good, nice red hue, characteristic light Glenlivet palate, but nicely refined with some sweetness and spice.

Onward to the Springbanks, with Longrow, Hazelburn, Springbank and the Kilkerran. The rep explained Springbanks are from the lowlands, and the lineup for sampling were all unfinished, though I have my doubts about that last statement. The Longrow peated was first, smokey but not too much, with hints of citrus. The Kilkerran 12 was somewhat citrusy too, with a hint of butterscotch also a clean finish. Springbank 12 came and went, Hazelburn 12 came and went also, raw alcohol sort of dominated and I didn’t find either of them very interesting to my taste buds, but by that point I think my taste buds were a bit pickled. The Longrow was my favorite of the Springbank bunch.

I took a break for about 20 mins, mingled, and drank water before going to the Tulibardine table. The rep explained Tulibardine is a highland scotch, not well known in the US. They are trying to branch out, and have started producing a few finished malts, each with some odd numbers on the label, but they are not age statements. The numbers represent the capacity of the barrels they are finished in. The 500 is finished in Pedro Ximenez 500 liter sherry butts. A bit bold with stewed fruits notable, and what seemed like a bit of cinnamon (I’m not a big fan of cinnamon). The 225 is finished in sweet Sauternes 225 liter wine barrels, somewhat citrusy, a tad bitter, with slight sweetness on the finish, but not as sweet as I expected considering the Sauternes aspect. The last of the numbered malts; 228 is finished in burgundy barrels with a capacity of… you guessed it, 228 liters. Somewhat fruity, but a bit too bold and not very refined it seems. Finally the Sovereign, which also has no age statement, is aged in bourbon barrels, and seems very unrefined, almost raw alcohol. If I had to pick one it would be the 500, but I don’t think I would go out of my way to buy either of these.

My unabashed Speyside bias favored the Glenlivet, both Founders and 18, but a bottle of Longrow Peated may find its way into my cave some day... maybe after another bottle of Benromach.