Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

Civilization - going or gone?

I fear for our country when all of the great ones in the arts, ie. music, film, literature, painting etc. are gone. There will be nobody to replace them, unless you think people like Kanye West and Miley Cyrus and the rest of the no talent assheads will save us. I fear for the country because when the arts go away so does civilization. It is a very slippery slope then to a totalitarian dictator and I think that Trump wants that and he is going for it so watch out. But I do not want this to be about politics so that is all I will say.

Young people have always been the ones who buy the records, cd's, downloads etc. They buy what they hear and they play what they hear. And what they are hearing today is complete crap. They do not know what it is like to have good music. It is sort of hard to relate to that but try to put yourself in a teenager's position. All they know is crappy ass hip hop, bad attempts at 70's style rock, heavy metal that is just some guy trying to sing like Satan and has no hooks or riffs to it, American Idol and basically enough crap to cover the whole world. This frightens me.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
beevod
Herf God

Well, Palestrina, Tallis, Hayden, Mozart, Beethoven, Sibelius, etc. survive so there's hope. The "popular" garbage will always be replaced by new popular garbage.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
Ringo
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevod View Post
Well, Palestrina, Tallis, Hayden, Mozart, Beethoven, Sibelius, etc. survive so there's hope. The "popular" garbage will always be replaced by new popular garbage.
True, true but I would like to see music going forward as well. The great stuff will always be here.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

What really grinds my gears is that so much of pop culture is derivative of what came before it. This generation has no sense of the past, are completely culturally ignorant and they like it that way.

I'm trying hard to get my girls at least partially up to speed, and I'm having some success with it. My 15 year old has seen enough that she can recognize a lot of references, but she isn't quite there yet. So much to teach, so little time.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
Ringo
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
This generation has no sense of the past, are completely culturally ignorant
Exactly.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
So much to teach, so little time.
An appreciation of the arts (and their importance) often begins at a very early age, and so it's essential that this be fostered both at home and outside the home.

Good on you, J.

As to the general state of the arts (including music) in today's society, there's much exploration and experimentation taking place far beyond the realm of commercial drivel and vapid showmanship. One just has to search a little more.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
bigipps

I do think there are interesting things out there even if it may be in genres of music I don't typically listen to. Somehow I found the Dissect Podcast that spent 14 hours analyzing the Kendrick Lamar cd To Pimp A Butterfly. I still haven't listened to the cd but was impressed with the depth, introspection, and awareness in that cd. And definitely a glimpse into an experience in America that is different than my own.

But, for sure there is a lot of noise out there that is hard to wade through.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Poohdvm
Club Member

Pop music is not music. It is Pop culture period. Its driven by the 9-14yr olds and it always has been. According to Kasey Kasem's top 40 Debbie Boones "You light up my Life" was the #1 hit of the 70's decade! THE DECADE! Pop culture is never been about the music.
Music industry of our past is dead but that doesn't mean the music is gone, just the was we access it. Kids now find the music by U-tube or music streaming services. Personally I feel this levels the play ground some. I enjoy finding a new artist on Pandora that pops up on my Clutch or John Hiat station. We have more diverse live shows in town than we ever had in the 1980's and 90's. Its all more grass roots now. Its harder for FOG's like us to find it but its out there.
Imagine Dragons is a band I had never heard of until I caught my son listening to them on U-Tube. Not exactly in my wheel house but not bad find for my 9yr old. Its funny also because the intro of one of their songs begin with a repetitive piano cord that I hear him play on the piano.
We all have some dirty pop music secrets in our past that we don't want anyone to find out about but we came through it just fine. I like to drop silly songs from my past in my song lists just to get a rise out of people listening with me. Tears for Fears "Shout" usually gets the best WTF looks from people!
There is good stuff out there you just have to know how and where to look.
Check out Jeff Becks new release "Loud Hailer" to see how an old established artist is still growing and engaging new talent.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Dear lord you bunch of old farts, what do you think your grand parents said about our/your music?

Take the time to show kids classics, you might be surprised what happens.

remind me to stay off your lawn

and another thing! all them new fangled electronic things

:r ofl:

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
Poohdvm
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
Dear lord you bunch of old farts, what do you think your grand parents said about our/your music?

Take the time to show kids classics, you might be surprised what happens.

remind me to stay off your lawn

and another thing! all them new fangled electronic things

:r ofl:
I was thinking the same thing but held back. To quote Rush "No changes are permanent, but change is".