Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
mealstrom
Herf Meister

Coffee Roasters Anonymous: The Official Thread

I thought it'd be good to have an official Coffee Roasting thread, instead of scattering the comments, questions, advice, and tips over a bunch of different threads.

Last night I had a very odd occurrence with roasting coffee. I was roasting about 1/3 lb of Sumatra Takengon Classic at about 475 - 490 degrees. I did everything the same as I always do for the other roasts I've done (only about 4 or 5). The only thing is that about 12 minutes into it the beans were a nice dark brown, about an 8 or 9 on the Sweet Maria's scale which puts them after first crack and close to city roast. Yet at this point I hadn't heard a SINGLE crack. Nothing! I was worried I was scorching them or possibly baking them so I put the thermometer back in and it confirmed that I was sitting rock steady at 495.

Eventually I just pulled the beans off as I wasn't going for a super dark roast. At this point they were about a 9 or 10 and I'd heard maybe 2 or 3 cracks at most. There was virtually no chaff at all.

Very weird! I'm actually drinking some now and it's not bad at all. I'm just wondering why the beans behaved like that.

On the other hand I also roasted 1/3 lb of Kenya AB Auction Lot #786 Rukira right after at the same temp and they started cracking within about 5 minutes. About 10 minutes into it I'd reached City Roast and pulled them off immediately. They had the most chaff of any beans I've roasted yet. It took me almost as long to clear the chaff out as it did to roast the damn things!