Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Vince

Suggestions for quality hygrometer

Are all digital hygrometers intended for humidors basically equal, or are some of superior quality? If some are superior, what brand are they? I'd consider an analog as well, if it's worthwhile. I've read about synthetic horsehair models like the Credo unit that are supposed to be okay.

I ask because I've had two digital hygrometers fail on me in the last couple of months. Both were the adjustable round kind that are meant to fit in the cutout for a stock analog hygrometer. I took the battery out to reset them, but both were clearly broken (one climbed from 66% to 75% and stayed there when I took it out of the humidor, but the room certainly wasn't anywhere near that). I wondered if something about my setup might have damaged them, but I can't imagine what that would be. They're secured with the included magnet about an inch above the humidifier (Heartfelt's small bead puck), and there's nothing unusual about anything else in my setup. Other than the magnet on the hygrometer, there are no strong magnets nearby. I assume it's just a quality issue.

When I bought the first hygrometer, the tobacconist warned me that "any hygrometer can lie to you, but your fingers never will." I agree, and was later tempted to just go without a hygrometer. But a hygrometer is helpful for gauging how quickly your humidifier dries out (indicating the possibility of a leaky humidor). You can also get a feel for how stable the humidity is. So, although I'll use my fingers to assess the cigars' condition, I'd like a reliable hygrometer to assess my humidification's performance.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote