Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
qajariaq
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Pipe tobacco curing methods?

Does anyone know of any literature or other sources of info on pipe tobacco curing methods?

The initial air or flue-curing seems easy enough, but certainly there is more to the process than that?

I've found a few sites that hint at what's involved, but little else.

I'd like to try my hand at growing a few tobacco plants and processing the leaves myself. This area is known for virginia and burley tobacco - as far back as the early 1800s - but I'll likely try a 'virginia' since I'm not terribly fond of burley.

I have this crazy idea to roll some cigars from the cured leaves, something quite different than typical cigar tobacco. I've been rolling some small short filler cigars from a few of the VA blends I have for several months now, and I really need some long-leaf tobacco to allow larger ring gauges to be feasible. Such a small ring gauge makes them burn too hot, although the flavor and aroma are great. I've tried rolling cigars as large as 54+ ring gauge this way, but I think more tobacco fell out than actually burned!
qajariaq is offline   Reply With Quote