Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
scubadoo97
Club Member

Green coffee co-op

Green coffee co-op
I thought I would pass this along to anyone looking for green beans. There is a co-op that has formed and they are looking for more members. Here is the site and the FAQ page to give you some insight into what this is about.
I just bought 10lbs of Guatamalan Monte Maria for $0.86/lb and with the shipping and added fees came to $22.20.
Too bad you can't get Cuban Turquino

http://www.greencoffeeco-op.com/

What is the green coffee co-op?

The co-op was started so that individual home coffee roasters may purchase smaller quantities of green coffee at bulk wholesale prices. Co-op members collectively purchase whole bags of coffee then distribute this coffee to it's participating members at greatly reduced prices.

How does The co-op work?

Planning a co-op purchase is a democratic process. Co-Op members first vote to decide which origin of coffee bean they would like. Once decided a supplier is contacted for availability and price per pound. Members then decide based on this price if they would like to participate in that particular purchase and place an order for their desired amount. This can be anywhere from 1lb to a full bag. At this point, if there are enough orders to complete at least a full bag purchase the order is placed with the supplier. No money changes hands until it reaches this point. If there are not enough orders to complete a full bag the planned order is cancelled.

Once a order has been placed with the supplier it is either shipped to or picked up by a co-op member. This member is then in charge of distributing to other members that participated in the co-op purchase.

How do I become a member?

Everyone is eligible to participate in a co-op purchase. Just sign up in the forum that corresponds to your location within the US.

Are there any membership fees or dues?

Yes there are. A nominal fee is added to your order to offset operating costs. These costs include paypal fees and packaging (boxes, bags, tape...etc.) for distribution of the coffee to it's members. We are NOT a business! Nobody participating in the co-op is making any money! The co-op operates solely on dedicated volunteers passionate about the art of homeroasting.

The fees are:
$3.50 for the 1st pound of coffee
$0.30 for each additional pound purchased.

How long does the process take?

This depends alot on the co-op's decision process. The bulk of time will be spent deciding which origin to buy and how quickly we can find enough members to complete a full bag purchase. In most cases, the co-op member making the purchase with the supplier can pickup the order the same day he receives everyone's payment.

How much can I actually save purchasing through the co-op?

Wholesale coffee prices can vary from day to day depending on the market. Most origins are priced anywhere from $1.00 to $2.00 per pound. Organics and Fair Trade coffee's are slightly higher.

As an example let's take an Ethiopian Harar at it's latest price of $1.49 per pound. If you were to place an order for 20lbs and add your membership fee, your total before shipping would be $39, about half the cost of anywhere else