Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2003, 05:01 PM   #1
archmage

Cuaba Exclusivo

While recently been reviewing some gifted smokes, I recently noticed in my humidor that there's some cigars that I have bought myself some time ago and not yet tasted. So this time, for a change, a review of one of my own Also, Cuaba seems to divide people to those who love it and those who hate it, so I was wondering to which group I would fall to.

The Cuaba Exclusivo is the biggest of the regular lineup, quite near corona gorda in size, but perfecto shaped. The wrapper looked a bit rough and somewhat veiny, not that beautiful to look at. I ended up clipping a bit too small of a hole at first, but started smoking anyway. The perfecto shape made it very easy to light, but against my expectations, it didn't burn easily when the foot was still widening, and had to be constantly smoked, or it would almost go out. After reaching the widest part, it burned rather well. The draw was slightly tight at first and I noticed some tar buildup on the head, so I clipped a little bit more, and the draw went from slightly tight to almost too loose (and I only clipped some 1/8" more). There was some harshness to the taste, otherwise it was a nice mix of earth, spice, and after halfway, noticeably black pepper. The strenght was maybe slightly on the milder side of medium, but the flavor was quite full.

Somehow, I wasn't all that impressed with this one. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. It was fairly enjoyable, but not enough to make it in my rotation. It might have been young, so I'll let the rest rest () for a while before giving them another chance.

*** out of 5.