Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
jgbutler
Herf Meister

Questions about Rum

I'm hoping some of you fine brothers can help me out with some questions concerning rum & rum drinks. I haven't drank any rum in years. I pretty much haven't drank anything but bourbon for many years, which basically makes me a rum newb. All of the discussion about Mojitos has peaked my interest though and has made me decide that I need to check into this popular summer time libation, as well as others.

Lots of you seem to feel HC, in one form or another, is the top notch rum for Mojitos or just sipping rum. Since I have no source for the HC, I have been scouring and reading several of the threads past & present and it seems there are a few rums that some of you like just as well if not better than HC. I have also been on the hunt for some mint, but none of my local nurseries have what I have been looking for. So on to the questions.

With Yuerba buena a non option, I have been looking for some Kentucky mint or some apple mint. Are those two good choices or is there a better variety of mint to be looking for?

For Mojitos, Cuba Libres, Caipirissimas, etc...... is there a single rum that works well for each drink, or should different types of rum (light, gold, anejo, etc...) be used depending on which drink you are making, or is that just a personal preference? I know most of you say Anejo's are for sipping not mixing, but I thought I would include it in the list.

I have seen where many seem to like Ron Zacapa & Ron Matusalem very much. As far as RZ goes, is the 15yr and 23yr both very good, or does the 23yr really stand out as being that much better? With the RM is there a huge difference or preference between the Platino, Classico & Gran Reserva when it comes to mixing rum.

Does there happen to be any other rums that really stand out as being truly excellent that also are within the $20-30 range?

I have seen Mojito Club Rum on a few online vendor's sites. Does that stuff actually make a decent mojito or does anyone know? It seems to be fairly cheap, which leads me to wonder just how good it really is.

It seems I'm going to have to travel a bit to find most of these rums. I have looked at several of my locals (keep in mind mostly small towns) as well as a couple in some bigger towns I have been to in the last week or so, and none seem to carry the Ron rums. I do have a guy that I work with and see 2 or 3 times a week that lives in OKC and I bet he could come by them at a bigger liqour store there.

Well I believe this post is long enough. Alright guys, help me move from being a rum newb to starting my journey towards being rum literate.