Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

tomatoes are great this year.

We usually hit the farmer's markets every year; earlier, wife actually spent $1 each for a handful of them that were the size of tennis balls. I screamed bloody murder.

Yesterday we went to the market, and normally we have to bludgeon people to even get to the tomatoes; this time there were probably a thousand pounds of them scattered everywhere. We bought a handful of them for eating and a 25 pound box of cooking tomatoes FOR ONLY $10!. They were just a wild mix of regular and some oddballs.

Today I opened it up and looked through it, and my god, they were the best looking things I've ever seen. the only reason they were canners were because they were small, some a little green, and a few cracks. There were some in there that were quite obviously only there because they had to many to sell as first quality.

I just finished making salsa, and my god, it's so full of sugar that I'm going to have to add some lemon juice. I've never had tomatoes that were so sweet, they are as sweet as peaches.

I just made it basic. I use onions, roasted anaheims and jalapenos, garlic. About 6-8 tomatoes per onion, a clove of garlic and a pepper for every two tomatoes. I use half anaheims and half jalapenos, and it makes a mild salsa for the wife.

I'm going back to the place in a few days and get a bunch to freeze.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote