Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Alec Bradley Trilogy Native Cameroon Robusto

Alec Bradley Trilogy Native Cameroon Robusto

5 x 52 ring, triangular or "Trilogy Pressed" as the manufacturer refers to it
Wrapper: African Cameroon
Binder: Honduras
Filler: Nicaragua, Italy
Info: Alec Bradley Trilogy

This vitola was my first experience with the triangular press. And it won't be my last! I caved in on a Cigars International special a couple of weeks ago, which included 2 cigars in each of 3 sizes of all 3 cigars in the Trilogy line. The others are a Maduro and Corojo. It's my understanding that the triangular press has been discontinued in favor of the standard Parejo shape. Is this the Ovation line? Maybe someone can clarify this. Anyway, this makes sense to me. This Cameroon was a good cigar and, IMHO, good cigars shouldn't need cosmetic hype and tricky marketing to get the job done.

Appearance and Construction
This toothy Cameroon looked very appetizing with a homogeneous medium brown satin finish. The texture was rich with minimum veining. The bunch was uniform albeit ever so slightly on the spongy side. The cap was very well constructed and perfectly radiused into the body.
Score: 5/5

Aroma
The pre-light aroma was rounded and very appealing, reminiscent of saddle leather and dry wheat.
Score: 5/5

Draw
A punch seemed like the right tool to use on this cigar. The operation was executed without incident. The pre-light draw was slightly on the firm side. It improved after the cigar was lit and remained consistent throughout.
Score: 4/5

Burn
I used my single flame torch to get things started. No problems were encountered which required attention or touch ups but the middle half did show some circumferential inconsistency. The ash was reasonably sturdy and burned to a light to medium gray. Dispatching the ash in the middle half left a firm, long cone of burned filler indicative of a stem or tight bunch, but neither was the case.
Score: 3/5

Flavor
This is a medium flavor, medium body vitola that demonstrated good balance and complexity. Subtle flavors of white pepper and cedar were balanced with a creamy smooth, almost doughy, character with the occasional sweetness rising in the background.
Score: 9/10

Taste/Aftertaste
The finish was long and semidry, leaving a nice toasted tobacco taste on the palate. No bitterness, burn or sharpness was noted during this experience.
Score: 8/10

Overall Quality
The character of this cigar is quite agreeable. I found it satisfying and worthy of a recommendation.
Score: 8/10

TOTAL SCORE: 42/50

Thanks for reading my review!

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote