Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 01-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #1761
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

A really nice (and broad) selection of malts there, Phil.

Longrow can be outstanding, and very unique in its flavour profile as well. The NAS (no age statement) edition is as good a starting point as any.

I'm somewhat perplexed by your reaction to the Springbank, although (as you point out) that may well be due to the 'oversaturation' effect. Springbank is usually one of the most complex malts, and can't be rushed in the glass as it often takes its own sweet time to reveal all of its nuances. I often find a 'sweet and sour' tone in it, though others have simply described it as 'funky'. Either way, don't write off Springbank just yet. The 10 Year Old provides a good introduction to its charms. Some of the 12 Year Old Cask Strength releases (either wine barrel finished or not) are outstanding, as are the 15 Year Old and 18 Year Old editions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomr2 View Post
The rep explained Springbanks are from the lowlands...
Not technically correct, as Campbeltown is a region unto itself, and not part of the Lowlands.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:13 AM   #1762
solomr2
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
I'm somewhat perplexed by your reaction to the Springbank, although (as you point out) that may well be due to the 'oversaturation' effect.
Yeah, I must try again, but I have to make some room in my cabinet first. I've taken a little turn into peaty malts of late, and I also had a bountiful Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
Not technically correct, as Campbeltown is a region unto itself, and not part of the Lowlands.
You're right, he did say "near" the lowlands. Checking the map it appears to be a peninsula west of the lowlands.

I'm planting the seeds with my beautiful wife to put a Scotch tour on our vacation list in the next couple of years, and so far she seems amenable to it. I may have to reach out to you to get your advise when I start planning it.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #1763
kevie49

OK, it's actually Saturday at the time of posting but I've got a dram that is worth posting about. I'm enjoying a dram of Dalmore Valour. It's a lovely fruity malt that has been aged in (I believe) sherry casks. It is extremely flavoursome and easy to drink, but the strong flavours also make it a bit too dominant to smoke a cigar with. With a stick, I tend to prefer a bit of a lighter malt. However this is definitely worth a try.
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #1764
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

From what I've gleaned, it's aged in quite a combination of casks - two sorts of ex-Bourbon casks and old Oloroso casks, then finished in Port pipes! That kind of maturation regimen reminds me a little bit of Bushmills 16 Year Old (admittedly an Irish and not a Scotch), a whiskey I like quite a lot.

Which reminds me... I haven't had a Dalmore in some time.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #1765
kevie49

I didn't glean any info from the web, my post was all taste based, but a combination of casks certainly would produce this taste. Dalmore is a favourite of mine, the cigar malt pairs well with a cigar (not surprisingly) it's standard 12 and 18 yo are both lovely drams. I've got an uncracked litre of cigar malt ready for the summer when I have a few round for a good herf
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #1766
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Dalmore 15

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #1767
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I wish I could afford the new Springbank release

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 02-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #1768
KatDad
Herf God

Enjoyed a couple of vodka martinis made with Tito's vodka and Martini & Rossi vermouth.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:08 AM   #1769
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

sampled a number of whiskeys yesterday from Clyde May, Few and Whistle Pig... then had St Bernardus 12

Old 02-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #1770
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Bonal (gentian and cinchona aperitif from France)