Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Wow, BEST deal on Shure In-Ear head phones

Here's the deal, SCL3's and SCL4's (white only) . They list for $200, and $300. A good deal on these is around $149 and $249. They are on sale for $59 and $79

SCL3 Link

SCL4 Link

Guitar Center has the same deal.

Guitar Center SCL3

Guitar Center SCL4

Looks like Musician's Friend and Guitar Center might be the same company. 8)

From what I understand, they will not be available for shipping until January 8th but they are taking orders now.

Bro's, I know some of you are not big fans of Shure E2's ( now called SCL2), mainly because of comfort reasons, but the SCL3's and SCL4's are a lot more comfortable, smaller, and easier to wear. The new "black foamies" and "soft rubber" inserts give excellent seal that improves bass response. Some might find the bass a bit thin, but adequate and accurate. The mids and hi's are exceptional (especially on the SCL4's), sound quality is open, and dynamic, making these great for jazz, classical, and vocal material. They play rock/pop/hip-hop just fine, but if you need bass boost, use the equalizer to add bass. The bass response is a bit better on the SCL3's but a bit flat on the hi's. Honestly, both are excellent sounding canal phones, and at the prices offered, it's a deal that can't be beat.

Remember, this deal is for the white ones only. I personally don't care for white, but at that price, there is NO better deal out there in terms of build quality and sound quality.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
MountChuck
Club Member

I love my Shures. Tremendous deal. Thanks for sharing.
MountChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Yes they are sister companies. I will forward this to our lead singer, he's been wanting them for a long time. Thanks for the heads up!

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
PLUSH
Club Member

yeah, I heard their adds on the radio this morning. I was like shit, $200 ear buds, you got to be kidding me. Still, $79 still seems like a lot.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
puffinstuff

Thanks for the heads up on this deal. I never thought I would spend $100 on earphones, but I finally broke down some years ago and bought the the cheapest set of Shure's available. All I can say is once I got the proper fit I was hearing different things from music I had listened to all my life.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
MalkavianX

Wow, that's a fantastic price. I have the E2Cs, but if I'm reasonably happy with those (including comfort) would there be much a point in upgrading to the SCL3?
MalkavianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
vernonator
Herf Meister

Shure are tops for sound quality, but I have had bad luck with their QC. I had a pair of mid-priced (cant recall the model) that developed a short at the connection to the right ear bud (this was after appx 1.5 yrs of use). I sent them in for repair - their flat fee is $50. Rather than repair them (they were out of production) they sent me a new pair that were one model up - Bonus I thought....well within 4 weeks these developed a short at the plug connection. I called, they said, sorry replacements are not under warranty, it will cost you another $50....I threw them away
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
Wow, that's a fantastic price. I have the E2Cs, but if I'm reasonably happy with those (including comfort) would there be much a point in upgrading to the SCL3?
The SCL3's are a bit smaller and lighter then the E2's, with overall bigger sound signature. They are more comfortable IMO. As puffinstuff said, proper fit is extremely important to get the best sound.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
red
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
Shure are tops for sound quality, but I have had bad luck with their QC. I had a pair of mid-priced (cant recall the model) that developed a short at the connection to the right ear bud (this was after appx 1.5 yrs of use). I sent them in for repair - their flat fee is $50. Rather than repair them (they were out of production) they sent me a new pair that were one model up - Bonus I thought....well within 4 weeks these developed a short at the plug connection. I called, they said, sorry replacements are not under warranty, it will cost you another $50....I threw them away
I have a friend who is on his third set in about 2 years. Same thing, right ear always goes out.
You guys must be tonguing the hole or something...Smokerch
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Regarding Shure cable problems leading to breaking, this is what I noticed. When inserting, some folks really drive them deep into the ear canal, a lot farther then they were designed to go in. This causes stress on the part of the cable that is hooked to the housing of the ear monitor. Also, some folks yank out these IEM's from the cable rather then grabbing the actual IEM housing when removing. Over time, and constant flexing at this cable point, the cable weakens and cracks, causing a short at that point of the cable. Also, the adjustment piece at the Y part of the cable, that adjusts the tension, when tightening, over time the stress on the cable causes cracks at that part of the cable leading to cable breaking.

These are common problem for a lot of IEM's ( not just Shures). Best thing to do is to not use too much tension when adjusting the cable Y for a tighter fit around the head. Also, do not yank them out of your ears by the cable. Take them out by grasping the IEM housing. You will find your IEM's lasting longer.