Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 Maduro

Since I grew up in Miami LGC cigars are nothing new for me, but as this was the first cigar of my smoking season here in Colorado I decided to review it.

At 5.5" X 54 the La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 Maduro is about the size of a short toro or a robusto larga. It's very dark appearance, combined with the attractive LGC label, makes it a cigar that just begs to be smoked, and that's how it earned the honor of being my first of the season (note: I do manage to smoke "out of season" but for the most part it has to be a Spring-Autumn thing for me to really enjoy it. Otherwise I have to try to enjoy a smoke in the cold, or drive to the cigar store ten miles away; either one puts a damper on the mood although I do enjoy the cigar store smoke if I decide to make the trip). At any rate it was nice today, about 65 degrees and sunny, so I decided to open the season!

Pre-light aroma and flavor was of chocolate. The cigar lit easily (thankfully, as my lighter ran out of fuel) and had a perfect draw from one punch. It burned evenly the whole way through, required no touchups (again thankfully, as my lighter fuel was upstairs!) and produced a pleasing amount of thick smoke. The first 1/3 of the cigar was mainly black pepper; after going through this pepper zone the cigar opened up with very pronounced floral and citrus notes which lasted all the way through to the final 1/3. As I neared the finish I started getting some powerful N, so I put the cigar out as I do not enjoy a cigar buzz. Those of you who like Vitamin N will have yourselves a little treat at the end; those who do not will have already enjoyed 3/4 of an excellent cigar and should have no qualms about ending it.

The Serie R #5 maduro is one of my favorite LGC's, along with the Wavell maduro and the Serie R #7 (for when I have the time for such a massive smoke). However I have never had a bad LGC, and I can recommend the entire line. Newbies, or those who prefer a lighter cigar, may want to start with a Wavell or other natural as the maduros and the Serie cigars can get pretty strong near the end.

La Gloria Cubana cigars represent one of the best values anywhere in the cigar world. They have wonderful flavor and construction, good enough to rival anything anywhere, yet you can get a box of 25 Wavell maduros (just one example) for under $70. It is a shame that Ernest Carillo's tabacalera in Miami is closing it's doors, but as far as the cigars go I can tell you from long time experience that LGC's are great whether they come from the Miami shop or not; indeed the Serie R #5 in this review was imported.

Recommended: Yes, wholeheartedly!