Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
CJ3
Club Member

Andretti Toro

So, I go to the mailbox, and there it is, my package from Andretti Cigars. It’s just a padded mailer, no box, no nothin’, and I’m thinkin’, uhhh, what the heck do these guys really know about cigars, as I form a mental picture of busted up cigars and unraveled wrappers. But, as it turns out, they’re all in these nice plastic tubos! No box necessary!

Not only that, but out of the three samples, two of ‘em are these really huge freakin’ jawbreakers. And I’m lookin’ at ‘em and thinkin’ just when in the hell am I gonna’ have enough time to devote to these cigars? I mean, we’re talkin’ like 4 to 6 hours of fanny time just to do these monsters justice! The only thing that occurs to me that even remotely meets the criteria is the Superbowl, and that’s just too far away. So, in order to get these reviews hoppin’ I take the coward’s way out and opt for the small one.

So I give ‘em the look over. The packaging is top notch. The soft plastic plugs on the end of the tubes actually have little O-rings on ‘em to keep ‘em sealed tight. Nice! The printing says Pacific Cigar Company, and then there’s a big ‘ole warning label from the State of California. How thoughtful of them. Well, at least they still care about me. Them and the dog, that is.

The smallish cigar’s little cylindrical plastic coffin just says “Toro,” and with no other info to go on, my only clue as to the wrapper, binder, and filler, is the “Made in Dominican MA” label. Now, I’m thinkin’ they don’t mean Dominican Massachusetts, soooo I’m guessin’ some of the cigar’s Dominican leaf, eh? Speaking of which, the cigar’s wrapper is a dark, mottled, and vein-y leaf with a slight tooth to it. It’s oddly smooth, almost like it’s “worn,” and it looks a little brittle, maybe, sort of like crepe paper. Is it a Maduro? A Natural? Connecticut? Sumatran? Don’t know, and it’s useless to speculate without some sorta’ cheat sheet from Ben. I guess I just gotta’ smoke it!

It clips neatly enough, and the draw's good, measured and even. Yep, there’s that sweetened tip that everyone keeps talking about. I light the foot and it fires up fine, and I start puffin’ away. As I’m searching for a first impression, the only thing that springs to mind is “inoffensive.” I mean, for such a dark wrapper, I was expecting something with a bit more bite to it. I do get a light hint of chocolate now and again, but that’s about it.

Pleasantly medium-bodied, and relatively…inoffensive, is the best I can do. Now, I’m just speculating, but, I’m thinking that perhaps we’re dealing with some really aged tobaccos here. That might explain my first impressions, and perhaps account for the odd, to my eye, very smooth and worn texture of the wrapper.

The cigar burns a little cockeyed as I continue to puff, but nothing beyond the perfectly acceptable range, just not the hackneyed “razor sharp,” you know? The band loosens up nicely and I pick it off cleanly without marring the wrapper, which by the way, holds up just fine, despite looking so fragile, initially. It finishes sorta' like it started. All in all, a little “Menza-Menz” if you know what I mean.

You know, the LPGA’s in town, and I was just up to the course this week to watch the gals play. I'll tell you what, that Natalie Gulbis stalks the course like some kinda’ Tigress. If there’s an LPGA version of the “Alpha Female,” then she’s it. I sure did come away with a much greater appreciation for Morgan Pressel’s talents, though. But, hey, nobody’s cuter than Paula? Right? Where the hell was I goin’ with this? Oh, yeah.

So, while I was in the clubhouse lookin’ for a souvenir, I see this standup cabinet humidor. Nice. Golf and cigars. Buy ‘em right in the pro shop. And as I’m smokin’ my sample Andretti Toro, I get to thinkin' that would be a great market for these cigars, at on course pro shops.

I mean, the packaging is great for the usually sub par storage at those kinds of places, and the tubos would be just right for stuffing in your golf bag. Plus, the medium bodied smoke is perfect for the average “Golf Guy” who’d like to puff a cigar during a round. It's just strong enough to stand up to the average Pilsner, but not so strong as to knock the sometime smoker on his ass.

So Ben, dial up the sales department boys and tell them to start hitting the local Country Clubs and Munis. I bet they'll be all broken up about having to visit golf courses. Probably have to get in a round or two to "close the sale." And thanks for the cigars and all that. Oh, I got a week off comin' up so, maybe I can set aside a day or so to bust in one of them jawbreakers. Of course, I'll have to time it out so that the old lady's at the mall or somethin' or she'll give me the stink eye for gold brickin' for too long when there's yard work to be done...

Last edited by CJ3; 06-29-2009 at 10:32 AM.
CJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote