Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Cabaiguan Guapos 46 new size...

Cabaiguan Guapos 46:

Size: Corona Gorda 5 5/8 x 46

Wrapper:Natural

Band: Standard Cabaiguan (Cab) tan band with embossed silver and white trim. simple and clean with no fanfare, typical of the Cab's.

Setting: My living room watch-in the NBA game.

OK, here We go.

I was at the Azucar Cigar Lounge today and picked up one of the new sizes.

I have had the Original Guapos, which is a Larger ring gauge. I liked it OK, but like Others here have said, it was not on par with the $ dollars spent. There was another review in April, but The specific size was not mentioned.

This is a Good looking cigar, I like the smaller ring size too. The wrapper has a stretched look, in some sections. The medium Colorado color is consistent Head to Foot. The finish is a semi gloss lustre. Like the Original Guapos (OG) it sports a short pigtail Cap.

Prelight: The aroma off the wrapper is floral with a touch of sweet spice. It appears well filled and has a uniform feel to it. A shallow first clip exposes a very easy draw.

The Light: With match to foot, she breaths easily to life . A first taste of...........................Pine?! Yup!

The sharp tree flavor fades and a nice light spicy pepper finish lingers on the tongue. A very easy draw, almost too easy.
Still a more impressive start than the OG had.

I'm pairing with a smooth Dewar's 12 YO and a bottle of water. Simple and clean.

As a smaller ring diameter might suggest. It smokes a bit hotter than the OG. I slow it down, because this unit warmed up very quickly.

This cigar has a very distinct flavor, woody and earthy with nice Herbal cues. It's not a Powerhouse smoke, but the unique flavor profile reflects the quality of the materials used.
Read: You don't miss the strength element.

One inch in and everything is stable and since I slowed down the pace, the heating concern has disappeared. There is a really nice finish on the palette.

Slow sipping the Dewar's and the water, seem to be a nice flavor combination.
FWIW, I think a stout single malt might over power this vitola.

The burn is consistent and the powder fine ash drops of it's own accord. So, tap it or wear it.

A small pin hole leak in the wrapper developed at 1.5 inches, creating a small canoeing, so a touch-up is required. Otherwise it has been a well mannered smoke so far.

The flavor does not remind me of any of the other Cab cigars that I have had. Definitely a different blend, or perhaps the smaller ring focuses the blend better than the OG.

The flavor is growing on me. This cigar is smoking pretty fast, at 1/2 hour, two inches already gone. I make another shallow clip to open up a damp head. While I have said this cigar is not a powerhouse, I must add that this is not a "Mild Cigar" as I get further into it the flavor intensifies and the strength moves up a notch as well.

The band comes off cleanly and the flavor train keeps on rolling. It develops more depth in the earthy/Loam department.

Some of the Cabaiguan line has left me scratching my head and going Huh?
But, I like this cigar. It will be a great early smoke or a nice hot tub cigar. Steady enjoyable flavor, without a lot of work. With a lower price point than the OG, I think it's a smart move by the Guy's at Cabaiguan.

Halfway through smooth with no harsh tones. It has a good Honest tobacco flavor. I was kinda worried at first because the wrapper really had a Floral nose to it. I'm not a big fan of Flowery smelling/tasting cigars. But after lighting, the Woody Herb flavor took over and delivered.

First relight. (too much typing ) Plenty of smoke on the draw, at rest almost none.

A much better Basketball game tonight. (I Like'em close!)

The bulk of the Sweet spot of this cigar has been a steady and consistant delivery of flavor. I like that.
Sometimes, I want a cigar to challenge me and sometimes I just want a tasty smoke. This stick has delivered that.

Less than two inches remain, still going steady. I give it another small clip and keep on puffin.

There are two more sizes, all smaller than the OG. I guess I'll have to try them too.

These should also improve with age. It should mellow nicely.

I'm down to the last bit and no substantial deficencies. Other than a slightly scorched tongue early on, it's been Great.

As I retire this new Jewel to the tray, I think that it's a Winner.
A well mannered and an honest flavor profile in a good size for the blend.

That's what I Love about Quality Hand Rolled Cigars, the variety of old favorites and the new smokes you've yet to discover.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote