Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
CJ3
Club Member

Brautigam - MCLC Group Review

Prologue:
CW member "The JD" kindly provided these samples to be included with our MCLC box pass. Each participant will smoke a sample and post a review on this thread. The Brautigam is a new release, and already, the MCLC has emerged as a sought after target demo! How's about that! Here's the description The JD provided to me:

Don Fred presents a mild to medium-body premium cigar featuring a light brown Ecuadorian grown Connecticut wrapper, complemented with the finest leaves used in its fillers and binder. Don Fred offers is in its composition a unique blend with a rich core of sweet, earthy flavors with hints of cocoa and coffee beans.

Wrapper: Connecticut (Ecuador)

Binder: Habana (Nicaragua)

Fillers: Habana (Nicaragua)

Thanks again JD!

PRE-SMOKE:
Appearance and Construction: Score: 4 out of 5
Burn: Score: 4 out of 5
Draw: Score: 4 out of 5
Aroma: Score: 3 out of 5

Pre-Smoke Comments:

My sample Brautigam is a stout lil’ Robusto, with a clean looking, light colored wrapper leaf. The pre-light aroma is slight and pleasantly “earthy.” The cigar’s cap clips neatly, and the pre-light draw is nigh on perfect!

SMOKE:
Flavor: Score: 6 out of 10
Taste/Aftertaste: Score: 7 out of 10

Smoke Comments:

Initially, the cigar is smooth and light, as advertised. No real surprises there. There’s a decent “body” to the smoke however, and just a slight “tang” on the tongue. The ash is very firm, and straight and thick. Impressive, a really nice burn! I got nearly halfway through before I tapped the ash, and I could easily have teased it further, but I was wearing my new coat, and thought better of it. The exposed coal was fairly solid, and nicely conical.

The body picked up a little bit in the second half, but no overt flavors jumped out at me. It reminded me a little of the D.E. Chateau Real, but a bit “drier,” without the sweet overtones. I’m also minded of a favorable comparison to the Gispert Robusto. The cigar smokes cool and even, right down to the last half inch. Yep, I definitely nubbbed this one!

SUMMARY:
Overall Quality: Score: 8 out of 10

Summary Comments:

Overall, I’m pretty impressed with this cigar. Although it doesn’t communicate anything in the way of overt flavor or spice, it outperforms many a name brand I’ve smoked in overall quality and pleasant smoking experience. It’s a “light” smoke, on the mild side of medium, that’s easily more than the equal of, say, the Nat Sherman Host that I recently sampled.

A nice after work relaxer that won’t leave a bruise before dinner, which is, incidently, exactly when I smoked this one! The draw, burn, and ash structure are clear indicators of a well made cigar. Bravo! Do I really have to send the rest on with the MCLC box pass? Really?

FINAL RATING: 36 – 4 Stars, Excellent