Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I smoked one of these this weekend (came in the PhatAsh new site special), and was pretty underwhelmed. I wasn't thrilled with the RG, but hey, I wanted to try the line.

There was a distinct molasses/raisin sweetness to the wrapper that I found rather appealing, but things went downhill from there. At the top of the list: I can't remember the last time I had a cigar that was so damn difficult to keep lit. An uneven burn in a cigar with a 54RG is not hard to understand, but I must have re-lit the thing at least 15 times before I gave up on it. It also canoed pretty much the whole way.

The flavors were OK - leather, cedar, and toasty tobacco at the fore - but not as enjoyable (to my tastes) as the regular JdN Antano line. I never got any spice, nor did the sweetness of the wrapper translate to the flavor profile as I smoked the cigar.

I just don't understand the "Doble Fuerte" claim associated with the dark corojo line. This cigar was solidly medium-bodied, with noticeably less oomph than I get from the regular Antano line. If there really is more ligero in this line, I didn't get it when I smoked this example.

Bottom line: Not a bad cigar by any means, but not one I'm likely to want to stock up on, especially at the price point they go for.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote