Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
HoopHog

R.I.P. Thin Man from West Plains

This weekend the music world lost a pioneer singer/song writer - Porter Wagoner. The Grand Ole Opry legend succumbed to cancer, dying at home in Nashville, Tennessee.

Many musicphiles have overlooked this great talent and the influence he has had on the music industry as a whole. Not only did he make many men jealous by carting Dolly Parton on his arm...and launching her career, but his song stylings have also been a strong influence on other song writers...helping them forward their careers as well.

"Skid Row Joe," "Carrol County Accident," "Joelene," "I Bowed My Head and Cried," "Misery Loves Company," "Green, Green Grass of Home," "Your Old Love Letters"

Porter Wagoner's twisted tales of woe, performed in a melancholy, folksy and sometimes bitting style would be a huge inspiration (along with Woody Guthrie) to Bruce Springsteen as he recorded masterpieces such as The River and more so Nebraska. His influence has inspired story tellers such as Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys and Tom Waits. The dark tone of his story telling inspired Johnny Cash to write a song specifically for Porter Wagoner's 2007 release "Wagonmaster" (produced by Mary Stuart).

One artist that was truly inspired by Wagoner's song stylings and showmanship was Jack White of the White Stripes. Jack helped introduce a new legion of fans to Porter Wagoner when he invited Porter to open for the White Stripes at Madison Square Garden in 2007.

This concert had such a profound effect upon Porter as he fought back tears as young fans clamoured for his autograph. Now, that's the way a legend should exit the grand stage. Thanks Jack...for showing such a great appreciation for those artists who have influenced you as an artist.

Porter, your sequined wings await you stage right upon heaven's royal stage. Now you can sing songs of peace and happiness.

R.I.P. Thin Man!