Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

El Original Toro Maduro

El Original Toro Maduro
6 x 52 ring
Wrapper: Mexico
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Five country blend; Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Peru
Info: http://www.islandsmokeshop.com/

This chunky offering is made by the Island Smoke Shop of Key Largo, Florida, a must stop on your next trip to the keys! They offer several interesting house brands. The proprietor of this haven is the Internet Cigar Group's own Bob Curtis.

This attractive vitola was draped in a beautiful chocolate brown Maduro wrapper. The construction was top notch from cap to foot with a firm and consistent feel. The texture was medium smooth and appeared with a flat sheen.

I decided to use a punch on this cigar, which was executed without incident. Pre-light features included a subtly dry, grassy flavor and faint aroma. The draw was perfect. From there it took readily to the flame from my Colibri torch.

This was a medium body, mild to medium flavor cigar. Lightly peppered spice flavors with earth and leather notes were present throughout. The occasional subtle hint of semi-sweet chocolate presented itself. The character of this example was rather singular with little complexity but it remained satisfyingly consistent from beginning to end. The finish was short and leathery with a slight sharpness. As the burn progressed, I noticed this Toro sported a dimensionally thick and hefty wrapper/binder package. The burn was acceptable, requiring one minor touch up.

I've smoked this line previously and have been quite satisfied. This particular cigar carried the properties I expected but seemed a little subdued in comparison to past experience.

All in all, a satisfying and enjoyable smoke. I recommend it to anyone wanting to deviate from the mainstream once in a while.

Thanks for reading my review!
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
one90proof
Club Member

Thanks for the great review! I had the opportunity to sample some of these smokes last summer when I was in Key Largo on a dive trip. We were staying at a Dive shop/motel practically right next door to the shopping center where this cigar shop is located.

I purchased a sampler while I was there and was very impressed with the quality of the cigars. I keep meaning to order more online...
one90proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
solomr2
Herf Meister

Thanks for the review. This is a good cigar for the money. The island smoke shop is a must see for anyone traveling to these parts.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:05 AM   #4
JohnVH

Good line of cigars. Thanks for the review.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
Polestar
Club Member

If you like the El Os, you might want to try their Santiago Cabanas as well. Unusual sweet spicy flavors.

I plan to do some diving in Key Largo this year. Should be fun to revisit Island Smoke Shop. I was there some years ago, but unfortunately didn't know an El O from an El Pro.
Polestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
STRINGFOOT

Old 01-07-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

nice review!

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #8
MaytagMan

I had a Churchill in maduro about a week ago, and that about sums up my review perfectly!

thanks for the review!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:13 AM   #9
rookie139
Herf God

I still love the El Originals!....I need to order a few more sticks since I haven't ordered in so long and Fishin Phil gave me one when we met last Sunday!

Refreshed my mind for how tasty these cigars are!