Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Camacho Triple Maduro Torpedo

These are not new, but this is My very first One.

CIGAR:

CAMACHO Triple Maduro Belicoso 6 x 52. Received in a PIF recently. I have not seen Them in the local B & M, yet.

APPEARENCE:

This is a attention getting cigar. Very dark with a sharp contrast to the Bands. Two silver and black bands, a very large and ornate top band, it's 1 1/2 inches tall. Then a foot band with embossed medallions centered on it. The Wrapper is a flat black color that varies in sections. The Wrapper area where the foot band was is substantially darker than the rest of the cigar. I will check the band area when the time comes, to see if that is also the case there.

CONSTRUCTION:

No one will accuse Cristian of skimping the tobacco on this cigar.
It is packed tightly and firmly. It's a Heavy cigar, weight wise. The Wrapper is extremely Toothy and even rough in places. I detect no soft spots, but the cigar has an unsmooth (not sure about that word. ) lumpiness to it. I echo last Years mention of a very dark filler combination, which stands to reason. I mean if everything is Maduro, Filler, Binder and Wrapper, it should be darker. This unit has a small Wrapper crack on the cigar, about 1/2 inch below the upper Band.

PRE-LIGHT:

There's a really nice Aroma on the wrapper, light spice and lightly sweet.
After I clip off roughly 3/8ths of an inch, I take a lingering draw and get a nice similar flavor on the tongue. the draw is snug, but not overly so.

PAIRING:

A nice light scotch and water. Watching a NFL replay of the Sea-hawk and LA Raiders Monday Night game from 1987. Until the NASCAR Race comes on, in a little while.

THE EVENT:

It takes a few clicks to get the entire face glowing. Initial flavor is a pleasant spice and woody flavor. The primary clip only opened the head to around 30 ring, but the draw seems fine, I'll leave it be for now.
The Flavor Profile "Feels" dark. What I mean is, it has a Full Meaty Flavor, I do not mean Full Power, but an aggressive Flavor. At 3/4 inch in there is a solid bit of white ash speckled with black, hanging on tenaciously. The burn, so far, is stable, clean and cool.

Idiot Alert!!

In the "What not to do during a cigar review" department.
Uh, I was cleaning out my medipac for work. Every so often I clean out the expired stuff and refill things that I'm low on. When I emptied out the pac, a loose ampule of red fluid dropped out. (ampule is a small glass container that has fluid in it) These are great for on the spot application of antiseptic or for smelling salts (Ammonia) they are normally encased in an absorbent protective container. I could not find the protective wrapper for it, so I threw it away. Done right?

Wrong! Some nimble dick got to thinking.....I wonder what it was?
So I recover it from the trash and roll it up in newsprint and crush it open. It's bright red like the antiseptic is, so Numb-Nuts takes a big Whiff of it from about 3 inches away.

$#*%(^&*_&__&&^&%$#$#++__!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKK!

Friggin Ammonia!

I now know first hand Why they use it to awaken semiconscious individuals. If You have not deduced it by now, I don't recommend You try it.
Well, my nasal passages are now burned out, but I am awake!

The review resumes 20 minutes later.

I tap off the complete ash and re-clip the head, relight. Starting over with just over one inch into the cigar.
The NASCAR Race is just getting underway.
The small crack in the wrapper has curled up so I carefully snip it off.
As the smoke comes back up to temp, it has just the slightest touch of bitterness. The previous flavor profile returns and even settles down a bit. This has not been a Powerhouse, but very flavorful. I am a huge Camacho fan, especially the Full Power lines. But I also enjoy the Finesse cigars They make, like the Corojo 11/18's.
This is a very different profile for them, but still nicely done. This cigar's Wrapper's look was not very inspiring, but I'm a Performance Guy. I'll take flavor over Looks, Every time!
There is a slight sweetness on the finish now. It leaves a nice after taste on the Palate. Still solid burn characteristics and firm ash.
2 inches in and all is well. The firmness of this cigar kinda concerned me when I started, but no issues as of now.
I cannot imagine the difficulty or expense of rolling a true Triple M. Many have commented on the cost of this line, but I've paid more and received less in the Performance and Flavor departments. (Yes, I was gifted this example, but I do know what They cost.) So, I don't see the problem.

Well, this has been very enjoyable, Ammonia induced headache not withstanding.
The consistent Flavor is key. There have been a few moderation's and mild element developments, but all have been positive so far.

Roughly halfway done and no complaints. I arrive at the wrapper tear and it's no issue. I remove the huge label, it comes away cleanly. I checked to see if there was a discoloration as on the foot and see nothing. The ash again is well over an inch and solid. The head blocks up a touch so I give it a clip and Keep on Puffin. There is a increase in power and the flavor fades just a touch as I approach the last 2.5 inches

I now have a sore throat to go with the headache, a few aspirin have diminished the latter a bit. I would have liked to have seen my facial expression with a snoot full of Ammonia.

A very civilized smoke, I wonder if the bit of age on this cigar has taken off the edge that other Brothers had reported late last year? Because this one has been most enjoyable.

oooo, a big wreck with 84 to go in the Race. Ouch!

Approaching the Finish Line with this cigar. No wrecks and only one driver induced caution.

I have clipped the head several time in the last two inches, to reduce bitter tongue syndrome. Otherwise a clean smoke.

As I place this smoke in the Winner's Circle, I give it a Big Thumbs Up!

CONCLUSION:

I will buy a few of these. The flavor was the story here. A medium spice with a nice long finish on the Palate. Well mannered and solid burn in a unique platform. Age may be a positive factor on these Baby's. I'll have to try a few more to be sure.

I can easily recommend this smoke.

ps; Skip the Ammonia.

Cheers to 3M's!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote