Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
pablocruze
Banned

The NUB Habano

I got a sneak preview of a new cigar called the NUB. It will launch April 1st and will come with a choice of 3 different wrappers.
The NUB that I took out for a test drive has a beautiful reddish brown Habano wrapper that sports a nice oily sheen.
The cigar that was created by Sam Leccia is a new concept in cigar making. The idea is that only the "sweet spot" of the leaf is used to make the cigar so none of the cigars are longer then 4"! This one measures 4x60.
After clipping the end I found the draw to be easy but not loose. Both the smell of the leaf and the pre light draw are very earthy.
The cigar that I'm smoking is a "fresh rolled" Habano having been rolled only 2 weeks before my smoking it. As young as this cigar is I am surprised that I don't detect any of the green, or grassy pre light taste you find in fresh rolled cigar.
After toasting the foot I get a nice even burn and a nice white ash starts to form. From the very first pull off the cigar I get a ton of earthy smoke that is sweet and spicy. I was told that this is a full body cigar, but the start is more medium then full.
After the first half of the cigar I find that 2 of the cigars hypes are true to form. 1st the cigar is remaining very consistent. The flavor has hints of Earth and coffee and leaves a sweet creamy taste in my mouth. 2nd, The ash is firm and clings to the cigar. I give it the tap test, knocking it a couple of times on the side of the ashtray, but it didn't even tilt to one side.
As I hit the last part of the cigar I started getting some ammonia that I contribute to the freshness of the cigar. All the flavor remains consistent, but a little less sweet then at the start, and closer to full body then medium.
I Nubbed this NUB! For a cigar that is in it's infancy, I can already tell this cigar will be a winner. The cigar burned true to the very end and as I smoked it down it remained cool on the tongue. The oils pulled out of the cigar making the wrapper moist and shinny. I am very exited about April 1st when I can smoke one of the nub's that have been aged. I will post pictures of the event and give a second review.
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Zig2k143
Club Member

Thanks for the review. I can't wait to light one up.

My blog on motivation http://www.afitspot.com/blog1
Zig2k143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
mrkmitch
Club Member

Thanks for the review.

Looking forward to our NUB events scheduled at a couple of local B&M in mid-April.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
pablocruze
Banned

Well the first NUB event took place Tuesday April 1st here in Bellevue KY.
It was huge! About 180 cigar smokers came out for the launch. Sam and Oliva did an awesome job. The thing I noticed as I walked around the bar was that every single nub was burning perfect. I smoked all 3NUB's and each one was perfect and lasted at least an hour.
48 boxes of the NUB were sold that night. I don't think I have ever seen so many boxes of cigars sold at a tasting event. Jose Oliva and Sam did a great event.
Well done Sam! Thank you for a great night and great cigar.
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
Zig2k143
Club Member

20 more days until the one by me.

My blog on motivation http://www.afitspot.com/blog1
Zig2k143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
jaroth28
Herf Meister

I ordered a sampler in order to give these a try.
kind."

-Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
jaroth28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
PLUSH
Club Member

I ordered a 5r yesterday. I was looking at the events and the next and closest to me is in Aug in Houston, Serious Cigar (nice place). Hello, what about Dallas.
PLUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #8
CSMAnderson
Herf God

I guess I need to add this one to my growing list of cigars I want to try.
CSMAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
dmoby
Club Member

Smoked the habano.. total gimmick- OK but no different than any other $5 cigar.
dmoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I'm waiting 'til they come out with a 1" x 256 RG model. They could call it El Bote de Atun.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote