Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

That Saturday evening whisky tasting...

Just a few brief impressions of the spirits on tap this last Saturday at a convivial gathering of friends...

Nikka Taketsuru (43%)
The no-age-statement version. Definite apple-pear overtones, typical of this Japanese whisky. A little sharper than the 12 Year Old, but with the added bonus of accentuating a somewhat smoky quality, likely derived from maturation in charred Japanese oak casks. Easily as good as many a Lowland or Southern Highland malt Scotch.

Bowmore 17Y0 (43%)
One of my favourite core expressions from this Islay distillery, and preferable (to my palate) to the newer 18 Year Old release, which - although complex - I find harder to coax out of the glass. Beautifully exotic mix of subtle smokiness, salt, spices and ripe fruit.

Glenmorangie 18YO (43%)
More assertive and less overtly sherried than the original bottlings of this Northern Highlander. Ginger and nutmeg, as always, but also with pronounced citrus zest and vanilla notes. Plays younger than its years. Very good.

Glenrothes 1995, bottled 2015 (43%)
As silky as they come. Solid, sweet malt core (pear fruit, mostly) with the oak perfectly integrated, as one would expect from a whisky with some two decades of ageing under its belt. Faint hints of lime zest and spring meadows peek through periodically. Not one to rush.

Springbank 12YO CS (53.2%)
Punchy and - as is usual for the make from this family-owned Campbeltown operation - notably complex combination of flavour sensations that leans toward the sweet'n'sour end of the spectrum. A lot going on in the glass with this one! Experienced palates will be enthralled.

Tullamore DEW Phoenix (55%)
Irish blend with a high proportion of malt and pot-stilled whiskey in its makeup. Quite palatable as it pours, although the addition of a little water does up the sweetness quotient. Think candied almonds and toffee in a somewhat buttery textural framework, and you won't be far off the mark.

Amrut Single (PX) Sherry Cask (62.8%)
Drawn from a single cask that, over slightly less than four years, 'suffered' evaporation of 40% of its liquid contents. Hot to start, but then rapidly settles down to greater smoothness. Cinnamon-imbued malt to the fore, followed by tiny sparks of various other spices and - surprisingly for a whisky drawn from a sweet Pédro Ximénez Sherry cask - rather prominent notes of citrus zest and vanilla pod. Not the Sherry monster one might expect, in fact, but instead a well proportioned, balanced whisky that should please a wide variety of tastes. A fitting finish to a delightful evening of imbibing.