Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2015, 05:29 AM   #7
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
It tasted ok...
It's certainly not a BAD Scotch. Nor is it one to be 'rushed' in the glass, as there is a fair degree of underlying complexity (owing largely to the inclusion of some older - i.e. 40-year-plus - malts in the mix). But OH, the asking price!

As others have stated, there are better options. Heck, for a similar cost, one shouldn't have too much difficulty at all tracking down a bottle of well-aged, cask-strength single malt from a renowned distillery.

And if a blend is in your 'radar sights', I'd recommend you check out the blended malt (that is, with no grain whiskies in the blend) offerings from Compass Box. John Glaser and his team put together some very delectable, well thought out whiskies, such as Oak Cross and The Spice Tree.

Amongst blends from the larger whisky companies, I've also thoroughly enjoyed Dewar's 18 Year Old of late - a real 'smoothy' with a lingering malt sweetness from the inclusion of some mature Aberfeldy (which is owned by Dewar's).

Johnnie Walker Gold Label 18 Year Old used to be my go-to blend. However, Diageo has taken it off the market, only to replace it with a no-age-statement Gold Label and a far more expensive (getting into Blue Label territory, in fact) 18 Year Old. I've only tried a bottle of the former. And while it displayed a modicum of richness and depth, it wasn't a patch on the discontinued version.