Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2002, 03:56 PM   #1
Boxdoctor
Herf Meister

Well I finally have a smoke worthy of review. Its fairly rare to find a box with this age on it right off the shelves, and I,m certainly not complaining. Its 58 degrees in Chi Town today and not too windy so I took myself out on my deck with a cup of strong Brazilian coffee and this great looking Churchy. The wrappers are a deep chocolate brown and matted with not too much sheen and some reasonable oils. The capa is a bit sloppy and there is a fair sized vein. The pre light taste is of cocoa and cedar and upon lighting the ash is a flaky gray and the burn is even with a nice black carbon ring and a perfect draw.The cigar starts with a muted sweet spice in the first 1/2" with tastes of spice and a hint of cocoa on the tongue and lips. Notes of earth and herbal qualities come out at about the 1/3 point.Peppery spice and more herbal bottom notes appear at about the 2/3 point.The coffee is a good companion to this cigar, especially at 2pm. I will try this one again with my favorite tawny port a bit later on another day.This stick is mature right out of the box and the tang of youth is smoothed out considerably.The spice turns to cinammon and a hint of burnt wood in the last 1 1/2" and for a very brief time there is a hint of bitterness like fall turning to winter.The bitterness is gone in the last 1", replaced by a honeyed, woody, peppery spice that nearly burned my fingers. Suffice to say I nubbed it and had a delightfully pleasant afternoon with this marvelously complex and mature cigar. Can,t wait to try another with the Port.

Rafael Gonzalez

Edited by - Boxdoctor on 03/13/2002 5:12:19 PM