Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
N99
Herf Meister

El Credito El Perrito War of flavors

I received a box of these from Famous today and I couldn't wait to get out and smoke one. I do like the concept and the smokes (from the thread about same in smokin post) sounded up my alley.

The thread: http://forums.cigarweekly.com/showthread.php?t=165145

I am going to do this review good, bad and ugly style. Here goes.

The good: The flavors! Wow this is a tasty little stick. long and skinny, not small enough to be a cigarillo and not really corona size, a panatela I suppose. 5.5 x 38ish Strong flavors of vanilla, nutmeg, black walnut and hot peppers in the background. It was difficult at times making out all it had going at any given time. The hot pepper was not a pepper blast like some cigars, but built the first inch and half or so and faded after that to just background noise toward halfway or so. The vanilla-ish nutmeg was throughout, although the nutmeg and black walnut came out more in the middle of the smoke. The draw was spot on, not too tight and not all loose. Burn was straight and mostly even.

The bad: There were spots where the black walnut flavors were a little bitter, almost mettalic toward the last third and a spot in the middle where I had to purge. The cigar was pretty wet OTT, so that may have had something to do with it. It was soft, but this cigar is made "freehand" and it did not affect burn or draw in any way. The nic kick is pronounced, you do not smoke these things quickly or on an empty stomach like I did (it made me a little woozy, and I smoke lots of "strong" cigars), it's made for sipping and it lasted a good half hour and probably would have went longer if I had slowed down a bit more. I am a pretty fast smoker normally.

The Ugly: The cigar itself. Its dark and mottled, lumpy and almost cheroot like in its appearance. The head is open so no cutting is really required, although I noticed that some of the little buggers had pretty small openings at the head, and cutting may be necessary. This is not a pretty cigar by any stretch, and no two look remotely the same.

All that said, it is exactly as advertised, I pulled the last inch or so apart and found a wrapper leaf, a single binder leaf that may have been the other half of the wrapper leaf they looked so similar and two whole filler leaves squished, almost rolled together. They were thick and very dark with some prominent veins.

I would recommend these to the heavy nic flavor junkies who want something heavy after a strong meal with a dark beer or bourbon but don't want to smoke something long lasting like a churchill or double corona because time is limited.

If these didn't have the nic bite I would dry them a bit and almost chain smoke them, maybe thats a good thing they do.

++++ on the smurf scale

THINK, GADDAMIT!

gone bad (fff)
N99 is offline   Reply With Quote