Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Padilla 1948 Torpedo

Padilla 1948
Torpedo
6 1/4 x 52 Pirámide

Prelight: Wrapped in a satiny-feeling Corojo wrapper of a colorado claro hue. The color was incredibly even from foot to tip, with a woodgrain sort of appearance to it. Criss-crossed by small, dark veins with no flaws, save for a few cracks in the wrapper (entirely my fault, due to rough handling). Tapered gently from the rock-solid foot up to the symmetrically formed pointed cap. I made a very small cut with a Xikar cutter, as I am wont to do with figurados, and was rewarded with a perfect draw that had just the right amount of resistance. Prelight flavors accurately predicted the coming smoke: woody sweetness against light, clean tobacco.

Beverage: Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, 90.4 proof.

Flavor: Immediate impressions turned out to be what would characterize the majority of the smoking experience. This blend is surprisingly mild-medium for a Pepin Garcia blend. The palate entry was woody sweet, with nuances of coffee beans and a tiny drop of oil of anise, set against the backdrop of medium-toasted tobacco. At times, some chewy, baked good flavors popped through on the finish.

Though it makes for a boring review, those were the predominant flavors throughout. The cigar was very rich and satisfying in flavor and had already achieved an impressive level of balance that honestly made it hard to pick out individual tastes. At times, I could notice an undercurrent of tannic bitterness. This never ruined the smoke, but only suggested to me that this may be a cigar that could develop even further in its richness with additional years of aging.

The Woodford Reserve only served to clash with the mellow flavors of this cigar and overpower them. As a note for next time, coffee or possibly a milder, sweeter Armagnac or aged rum might make a more natural companion.

Construction: Despite the abuse it had suffered and the cracks that developed, this cigar performed superbly! Never required a touch-up and burned relatively straight the entire time. A good solid ash crowned it that held for a long time and was a light yellowish-gray in color. The draw from my small cut was excellent, with just the right balance of give and resistance.

Summary: I realize this review isn't nearly as detailed as I normally write them, probably because I haven't sat down and reviewed in quite awhile and it is a skill that needs constant practice to stay sharp. Overall, one of the nicest cigars I've had from Padilla (my favorite being the 8/11 Miami) and a surprising blend from a man known for his bold, robust cigars. To my taste buds, evoked flavors like those of the Cuban-made Hoyo de Monterrey Épicure and Le Hoyo series.

This is supposed to be a limited edition cigar, but is actually priced much cheaper than the 8/11 Miami series (comparable in price to the Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label). I definitely think it is worth investing in a box or two to see how those tannins evolve over the coming years. I wonder what the fate of this blend and line will be, now that Padilla has started rolling and blending on his own and no longer uses Garcia's facilities.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote