Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

View Poll Results: How would you rate the TTT Trinidad 444 or Corona overall on a scale of 1-9?
1 Awful 0 0%
2 A little better than awful 0 0%
3 Below average 0 0%
4 Average 2 18.18%
5 A little better than average 1 9.09%
6 Above average 0 0%
7 Good 6 54.55%
8 Very good 0 0%
9 Excellent 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Zippy The Pinhead

NC TTT Trinidad Corona & 444 Petit/Short Corona

These are pungent smokes.

I've never sprung for a full box of TTT Trinidads in any size. The ones I've tried (robustos) came in samplers or four-packs from JR.

I've had a few of the robustos and was underwhelmed. And when I tried one of the 444s last year on a cold winter night, I thought it was pretty much in line with the robustos: fuller flavored than some cigars, but nothing spectacular.

In all fairness to the cigar, I was not 100% healthy at the time (recovering from a strep throat & cold), and I had just consumed a meal with a fair amount of spicy food. I suppose one or both of those factors could have dulled my palate.

Anyway, I tossed the last 444 into my humidor, cello on, along with the coronas, which remained in their little aluminum coffin, also cello on.

Fast forward a year. I go to the humidor looking for a small-format smoke to take on a walk. Hey... I'll try one of the Trinidad coronas.

First impression: very pungent cigar. This, after a meal of baked pasta with sausage and bell peppers and some Portugese wine. I wish I had something like a glass of port to go with the cigar, but not an option while walking.

I like bitter flavors; I take my coffee very strong and black, and I take the occasional espresso the same way. This cigar wasn't exactly bitter-- it had a good taste-- but the flavor was very strong, in a good way.

I thought it might have been a fluke, until I smoked one of the Trinidad 444 petit/short coronas earlier this evening. This, after a meal of pepperoni pizza (cooked in wood-burning oven) and a couple Peronis. In short, also a very pungent cigar.

Pungent and strong-flavored is not a bad thing, but I seem to be in a phase right now where these are almost too pungent and strong-flavored for me.

I just had a three-cigar day yesterday: Altadis Quintero robusto (outstanding; definitely medium-to-full bodied... sourced back in 2002 before the reblend and rerelease), followed by an Excalibur Seleccion Privada No. 14 (also outstanding, tasted pretty full-bodied to me), followed by an LGC Serie R #5 (I was not blown away, but it was following on the heels of two very good cigars). In comparison to the Quintero and the Excalibur, these two TTT Trinidads I smoked this week were in a league of their own as far as pungency and strong flavor.

I'm going to try another one of the coronas with a glass of port and see how it does. I have a new appreciation for these TTT Trinidads.