Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

Padilla Obsidian

First of all this cigar has nothing to do with a current line of cigars simply called "Obsidian." These are Padilla Obsidians. I bought 12 of them with the purple band when they first came out a couple of years ago, a time when when Padilla still had a good name. This was in the earliest catalog that had the Padilla name showing up more than a few times, and I had had some nice Miami 8&11's in the past, so I thought I was getting new line from a good cigar maker. I had no reason to think otherwise.

Guess again. These things are TURDS. I recall thinking that they were simply ok and nothing more, with a couple of them being a little better. But I left a couple more to sit and I can tell you that age only made these worse. They are foul tasting cigars without much to recommend them. Now of course we know that the whole Padilla thing in the big catalogs was a bunch of marketing BS, but at the time that I purchased mine nobody was aware of that fact yet. I thought I was getting a good deal. They had the "Edicion Limitada" band on them, which we also now know is the kiss of death to any major catalog sold cigar, but at the time I thought they really were limited editions.

Bottom line - these suck. Don't buy or smoke any. If you have some, give them to people you don't like and tell them that they are Cubans! But don't waste your own time with buying or smoking any. I'm only happy that I have a couple of the original 1932 line without the "Edicion Limitada" bands on them, and those are good smokes. But with so many cigars out there these days I just don't see myself ever buying a Padilla cigar again. Even after the summer, when they are supposedly severing ties with the big catalogs that they sold their name out to and trying to restore their reputation. It's ruined for good as far as I am concerned.

Ringo score - 1/10