Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
ElkTwin

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature Maduro

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature Maduro
6 x 47 Figurado
Filler: Dom, Binder: Dom, Wrapper: Conn Broad

This stylish perfecto is from a stash laid down in late 1999. The dark, almost oscuro wrapper looked great against the contrast of the black-edged Fuente band. Slightly toothy and with a moderately papery feel, the wrapper had a slight tear running along the diagonal seam. The cap was wrinkly, like a cotton shirt fresh from the dryer, and some of the glue from the band had smeared to form shiny patches in a few spots. One other interesting characteristic was the slight curve in the length of the cigar. The closed foot meant a resistant pre-light draw, but the pre-light flavor was of earth and damp hardwood with a touch of sweetness on the lips.

I love the ceremony of lighting a Hemingway. The flame from the match tickled the foot, and soon the small cherry at the end of the tiny tip steadily grew to encompass the bulbous foot. The draw opened nicely and rapidly allowed the smoke, and flavor, to pour through. I held the stick up to the sun and caught the majestic glistening of thousands of microscopic crystals clinging to the black background of the maduro wrapper. This was not a strong cigar, but it was quite flavorful with hints of wax and varnish intertwining with damp oak leaves. A dark variegated grey ash shot through with tan highlights grew at a predictable pace and held the unmistakable perfecto shape for the first two inches before falling to reveal a small orange coal. The cigar had a lovely rich aroma redolent of juniper and tea leaves.

Throughout the smoke the cigar stayed firm and solid with a great springy feel between the fingers. Once it had warmed up a bit the band slid off effortlessly. The finish was herbal in nature and lingered with a pleasant warmth. Although never gaining strength, the flavors expressed by the cigar matured and increased in depth opening to a more opulent blend of cedar, cardamom, and warm cocoa powder. Interestingly, I found that the maduro wrapper did not so much add flavor as I noticed myself lamenting the loss of the typical Cameroon spiciness.

A wonderful change of pace and a very rare example of Fuente excellence, but I missed the spice and complexity of the original. Again, I am convinced that for some reason the Fuente Don Carlos line often benefits from aging while the Hemingways are best smoked young. Recommended.

Appearance: 7/10
Construction: 8/10
Flavor: 18/20
Finish: 8/10
Smoking experience: 18/20
Aroma: 10/10
Overall impression: 18/20

Total: 87/100