Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 05-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
N8DCJ
Club Member

Olive Oils - What do you use

This may have come up before I do not recall....

I typically use these two EVOO's Colavita and California Olive Ranch....

I typically only cook with OO and use it for salad dressings and pesto's , rarely do I ever just eat it on bread etc...

So , what do you guys use .....

Thoughts ?

Dan
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I've got likely six different kinds on the shelf. Different oils for different uses. Probably 20 different kinds of vinegars and mustards each.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

For extra-virgin, I buy a brand called Flag Brand, Sicilian . It's imported by a local company called Impastato's. It's a VERY good olive oil, and seems to be all olive oi. Sometimes I get the Partanna brand (like Charley Partanna from Prizzi's Honor) or, Castelvitrano.

One really has to watch that the olive oil they buy is pure olive oil and not cut with something else. This is something some of the big national brands are purported to do.

My current bottle of regular is called Bonelli, and it seems to be good, although it's a blend of Italian and Spanish olive oil.

I tend to buy the one liter bottles, better to run out than to have oil go rancid.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
jeepdad
Club Member

I use Bonelli from Costco and like it. I have always liked the flavor of the Olive Oil at Maggianos very rich and flavorful and found out they use Jewel Tuscany.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Few people know that most "Italian" olive oil are olives grown in Spain and shipped to italy for bottling.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:01 AM   #6
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Even fewer know how deep the Mafia is into the business and how little olive oil is actually genuine and not diluted with other oils.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:58 AM   #7
macsauce13
Club Member

Interesting this pops up now. I did a little olive oil research last week and it led me to the California brand you referenced. Haven't used it yet, but supposed to be pretty good stuff. I have almost completely eliminated butter from my cooking so I use quite a bit of olive oil these days.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:44 AM   #8
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

I buy the 2x2 liter regular 'olive oil' from Costco. Usually split that purchase with Jason...
It works great for cooking.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #9
macsauce13
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
I buy the 2x2 liter regular 'olive oil' from Costco. Usually split that purchase with Jason...
It works great for cooking.
John, I read the regular olive oil from Costco isn't all that high quality, but the one that says Toscano is really good. I suppose it comes down to how you view its performance, but I just recently learned that info.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:19 AM   #10
macsauce13
Club Member

https://www.toxinless.com/olive-oil

Although maybe they improved the quality based on this article..

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-...te-label/52656