Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Nuevo Laredo Torpedo

It's still unseasonably cold here in Iowa. But BigO sent me some nice smokes and I want to review one. This Nuevo Laredo Torpedo looked like a good candidate for a cold day. from it's looks I don't think it's something terribly high end.

I like to do a review semi-blind. I know what the cigar is, but I don't know anything about it.
The cigar looks like it measures about 6" x 52. Maybe even a 54 RG. The band is pretty plain. No embossing or pretty colors. It has a dark and somewhat mottled broadleaf wrapper. The construction is lumpy and a bit uneven.
I pressed the foot to my nose and took a deep whiff. Smells earthy. My guess is this is Nicaraguan.
Torpedo shapes often have tight draws. I always clip a good amount from the end to help alleviate that. This cigar has a very sharp pointy end so I clipped at least a half inch if not a little more. The draw seems pretty good.
I lit it with a match. Initial draw seems a tad bitter. I expected more smoke, but it ain't bad.
An inch or so into it and the ash is white and somewhat loose. It's burning pretty straight. The flavor is just straightforward tobacco. Maybe a little bit of sweetness, but it's faint. I still think it's a Nic.
Down to about the last third, the wrapper unraveled a bit. I'm still not getting the copious amount of smoke I expect. The flavor has evened out. The bitterness is gone, but it isn't complex.
The burn went sideways at about the 3 inch mark. The wrapper was bailing on me too so I gave up after trying to smoke about another inch.
I think this is an inexpensive, okay Nicaraguan bundle cigar. Maybe after a good rest in the cooler they would be better. I have one more cigar. I'll let it sit awhile before I give it a try.

Epilogue: I did a search for the brand name and got nothing. Now I'm worried that I'm going to look like a dope for not being crazy for what is probably some prototype high end boutique cigar.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote