Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

For you LLMF lovers/Rocky Patel Royale

I've been enjoying these cigars ever since I was introduced to them about a month ago while in Tampa.
I have mainly been smoking the robusto size, but have tried the Toro and Torpedo vitolas as well and found the taste/strength profile to be pretty consistent across the board with only slight variation.
After clipping the cap and taking a quick pre-light draw I find a bit of spice on the lips and a nice flavor of chocolate intermingled in there. The draw itself, on pretty much every one I've tried so far, has been very easy, in fact some may find it to be a bit too loose. I happen to favor the draw.
Lighting this cigar, I find a rush of spice and those same notes of chocolate I tasted on the pre-light draw. I was VERY impressed with this cigar when I initially tried one in Tampa and so far I continue to be impressed. The spiciness is pretty strong right up front, but like another cigar I gave high marks to recently doesn't overpower that nice taste of chocolate cocoa and a bit of espresso, both the cocoa and pepper are VERY flavorful and what I would call strong while remaining balanced.
The spiciness never fades too much on the Royale, somehow the RP blenders have found a way to bring the cocoa/espresso up a notch in the second half without losing that spiciness that I like so much.
The burn on these have been nearly flawless with the ash being nice and firm and no flaking.
The Royale is a box pressed cigar with an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, the filler is a combination of Nicaraguan and Honduran tobacco, I'm not sure of the binder. It is classified as "Med/full" in strength, I would say that is on the high side of that......but that is probably due to the spiciness IMO.
As I was enjoying one of these this morning, about half way thru this cigar, I realized that one reason I am enjoying these so much is because I think they come the closest to replicating the old La Luna Maduro Fuertes....one of my all time favorites. If you enjoyed the LLMFs, I would highly recommend you try one of the Royales. I'd be curious to know what "you" think? (Gumby?)
The price point on these are fairly reasonable on these as well IMO....about $8 @ retail (robusto size)
I will be trying to keep several of these on hand for future smoking pleasure! If I had to give this one a score, I'd give it a SOLID 4 out of 5 stars.