Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
ElkTwin

RA Beli - gift from a generous BoTL

Typical medium brown Habanos wrapper - slightly sandpapery to the touch. This cigar was the classic belicoso, very wide at the foot, and it bore the simple and beautiful RA band. The head was pushed just a bit off center, but was well-crafted with at least four layers forming the cap. I cut it fairly deeply and got a delightful semi-sweet pre-light flavor and the perfect draw I was hoping for.

The first puffs provided a lyrical overture of subtly layered flavors including baked fig, coconut husk fibers and the clay sensation that might come from fresh, wet adobe.

Despite feeling perfectly humidified, the cigar seemed reluctant to offer smoke, taking several full puffs each time to get anything going. The soft, gray ash mushroomed out a bit at the foot as the cigar burned, with curls of ash peeling out and away. The smoke drifting from the foot was aromatic and alluring as it floated off into the room. At the half-inch mark some black longitudinal cracks opened in the ash and it became precarious in its attachment, so I tapped it loose.

The burn was mildly uneven but acceptable and other than its reluctance to smoke it was a satisfying experience. By the halfway point the flavors had deepened and the strength had built appreciably to a powerfully delicious pitch. The raisiny sweetness that was apparent earlier had been partially eclipsed by a spicy woodsiness and additional strains of leather and hops began to harmonize nicely.