Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

La Aurora Barrel Aged

I was gifted one of these to try.

THE CIGAR:

This is an interesting size 7 x 44 I have not found it listed on the few sites that I checked. Of course that means little. The story is that this blend spends a Year in the barrel. Old Rum Barrels to be correct. All of the tobaccos, Filler, Binder and Wrapper are aged in the barrels to impart a unique element to the various tobaccos.
Hmm, sounds interesting, but does it work?

THE APPEARANCE:

This is not a good looking cigar. It's motley Wrapper color is inconsistent with horizontal veins protruding off of the surface. For a minute I thought that it had been set on backwards.
I have come to expect much more from La Aurora products.

THE CONSTRUCTION:

The uninspired theme continues. The single cap is off color and off center, with ripples. The Parejo shape is lumpy and several soft spots were noticed. The binder even appears Twisted under the Wrapper. Not a good start, so far.

THE PRE-LIGHT:

After a shallow Guillotine cut......nu thin. After a second trim a very firm draw was established. There is a slight sweetness coming off the wrapper, but not much down the pipe.

THE SETTING:

Just setting down to watch the NASCAR race in Chicago. It's a sunny and windy day in So-Cal, temps in the upper 80's. All the windows and doors open in the house and settling down in the living room for a smoke and a race.

THE PAIRING:

Trying something new, I picked up a few bottles of Trader Joe's Blended Scotch Whisky. I had a sip earlier and it's a light bodied Scotch with an almost fruity finish.

THE INTRODUCTION:

Well, the cigar seems very moist, after the clip. So, I set it in the dry box for a few hours and waited.
OK, after two hours enough waiting Here We go.
The Lotus goes and the Aurora Glows.

The first draw has a nice flavor to it. Color me surprised.
The feel of the cigar is still spongy.
Well at 3/4 inch the burn is already off. So, is the Flavor, that first taste is gone and in it's place is a sickly sweet and slighly sour flavor.

The flavor profile is very different from any La Aurora as well as almost all other cigars too. It tastes like a Flavored cigar.

I know why this seemed so familiar! This texture reminds me of my Pipe Tabac, extra moist and aromatic. Duh!

The ash is solid and a yellowed white in color, I tap it off at just over an inch. The odd burn has corrected without help from me. The simple band comes off by it's self.
It's odd, but since I realized that it seemed like Pipe Tabac, it seems to finish dry, like a pipe does. You feel the after taste more than the smoke taste.

Whoa! We are getting some substantial wind gusts here 30 to 45MPH! That's cooled down the temps to 80 degrees which is Perfect. But stuff is blowing all around in the room!

I went to refresh my drink and the smoke went out, another indicator of a high moisture cigar. I relight with no surprises. The draw deteriorates so I clip again and what little of the cap there was, has now departed. Only 1.75 inches in and I've had to clip it 3 times and the whole cap is gone.

Sadly the NASCAR Race is like this cigar........Boring.

Two inches in and I'm already thinking about what cigar I Could be smoking instead of this one. Sadly, I'll have to figure out how get the funky taste out of my mouth first.

This cigar was a gift, otherwise it would be history by now. That's a shame because I LOVE the Preferidos, the 100 ANOS and cut my smoking teeth on the La Aurora Cammie line.

As far as positives, this is a very cool and slow smoke.

The draw continues to be a problem. Oddly, I expected this puppy to unravel with no remaining cap, but it appears to be glued down securely.
As far as classification it would be a Flavorful smoke and Mild/Medium bodied.

The issue that I have is that it's not a Tobacco flavor. The Opus X line ages tobacco in Cognac barrels and that works. But, if this had been a blind tasting I would have guessed it was an average to lower quality flavored cigar and not given a second thought to retiring it, Post haste.

After 3 inches it's more of the same. The draw has again closed and it went out again....

..........................I'm sorry, but I gotta let this thing go.

CONCLUSION:

Well, that's an hour and a half I'll never get back. Poor construction, odd wrapper, sloppy cap and a very Funky Flavor. This might be a enjoyable cigar to a Newbie or a non-cigar smoker, but it just doesn't work for me. Factor in the Construction issues and it's a big NO for me.
I'll even Allow, that I may not have received a smoke that is representative of the blend.

But, this simply is not something that I would buy.

I'll just have to be Happy with my Lovely Preferidos.

Cheers to the NEXT One!

slack

ps- At least The Trader Joe's Scotch was good!

pss- It also proves that I don't only review cigars that I like.

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote