Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2002, 06:30 PM   #1
neophyte
Club Member

Overall Cigar #187 received a favorable rating. One of the four taste testers did not care for it, but he did not dog rocket it. Below is a chart of the reviewers who responded. I only have the member numbers so if you see this email me with your number and I will give you just due.

Member 332 1086 267 1075 Average

Const 4 3 4 4 3.75
Burn 3 4 4 3 3.5
Draw 2 2 3 5 3
Aroma 3 3 3 4 3.25
Flavor 8 5 7 8 7
Taste 7 3 5 8 5.75
Overall 7 4 6 8 6.25

Total 34 24 32 40 32.5

This was a CAO Anniversario Maduro. The wrapper is Grade 1 Connecticut Broadleaf, the binder is Sumatran seed grown in Ecuador and the filler is a blend of Dominican and Nicaraguan.

The revieweres comments are below.

Cigar: Cigar #187
Member:332
PreSmoke:'cigar #187- this cigar has a maduro wrapper, slighty boxpressed. Robusto in size. the texture is on the coarse side, while the cap did look like it was thrown on. The bunch is firm to the touch...Overall this cigar looks and feels well constructed.'
Smoke:'the cigar had a great burn. Flavor tended to be on the earthy side,and I would say on the medium side for strengh..the flavor was well pronouced thruout this cigar..the wrapper had a sweetness to it.
Summary:'nice cigar and had some great flavor. one big problem with this cigar, halve way thru it wanted to go out...also i had to puff a couple of times to get some
smoke.the burn was flawles,the smoke was never harsh..with a good aftertaste.i would probably get some more.'

Member:1086
PreSmoke:'Nice looking robusto or toro size with slight box press. Dark maduro wrapper with a few small veins showing. Nothing objectionable. Cap applied nicely.'
Smoke:'Pre light aroma was mild and a little sweet. Good volume of white smoke. The body was a bit on the light side for my personal taste but would be well suited for newer cigar smokers. The flavor was of dark
chocolate but not overwhelmingly so. Although the smoke was thick I would not describe the smoke as lush.

The draw on the first sample was fine. The second sample was a bit plugged. I had to work to get the smoke out. Burn was even on both samples

The finish is too short for my personal tastes.'
Summary:'This is a nice lighter mild smoke with little spice. More experienced smokers will find the cigar too light in both body and taste. If I were spending my own money, I would probably pass on this cigar.'

Member:267
PreSmoke:'Nice cuadrado 5 1/2 X 54 maduro robusto. There were a couple of medium sized veins, but overall, very nice. The cap was well applied. This one says "smoke me".'
Smoke:'Prelight yielded a slightly sweet sensation with hints of raisin. The draw sas snug, but not overly tight. On lighting, the cigar gave a nice even burn with a mottled grey, slightly flakey ash. There was a
slight bite (Dominican tobacco?) with subtle hints of leather. There was a little grassiness on the finish. The smoke volume was good with medium body and strong side of medium strength. '
Summary:'Solid performer. If not for the bitterness I detected, this cigar would have scored a few more points. Well constructed, good burn and draw. Definitely worth a try!'

Member:1075
PreSmoke:'This is a perfect size cigar for my tastes at 5 1/2 x 52 or 54. Very nice construction, dark matte finish, firm and dense. Got a nice cocoa and spice aroma even before lighting. Very small veins. Cut cleanly and smoothly.
Smoke:'There were differences here in the 2 samples. The first burned perfectly and evenly, the second needed touching up and a burn pocket opened up in the second. Both had a solid dark gray ash. The smoke was
medium to full with nice balance and medium strength with generous body. The most predominant flavor was cocoa. The first sample was fairly consistent throughout the cigar and the second gave a slight bitter hint about 1/2 way through. The first was an awesome smoke throughout but the second lost points with me at the 1/2 way point. There was no tongue burn nor saltiness.
Summary:'From my samples, this is definately a cigar I would smoke again. Perhaps the first was so good that I magnified relatively minor problems with the second sample. In the past, I graded cigars too high when faced with inconsistent samples as here, something I am trying not to do any
more. Overall, I enjoyed the cigar and want to know what it was so I can try a few more. If #2 was an exception and #1 the rule, I will be buying a box.

What goes into one's mind without benefit of reason cannot be removed by benefit of reason