Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2002, 03:08 AM   #1
clone-k
Starting Member

Here is my first review on the forum board, so bear with me. And keep the laughing to a minimal. I decided to go with a head to head battle of two maduro's I like a lot, the CAO L'Anniversaire Maduro Robusto, and the La Luna Maduro Fuerte Tornados. These cigars are parts of 5 packs that went into my humidor one month before the smoke date. They were put in the humidor on the same date, and I smoked the CAO after lunch and the La Luna after dinner in the same hotel lounge. Here goes.

Construction:

Both cigars were beautifully constructed in with incredibly dark maduro wrappers. The sizes are slightly different, but without bands I would have been clueless as to which was which. The La Luna smoked perfectly all the way to the nub, but I had to relight the CAO half way down. One interesting thing was the fact that the smaller in length CAO actually smoked longer than the La Luna, by almost 15 minutes. They both burned perfectly with no runs, despite the relight of the CAO.

CAO : 8 of 10 the relight keep this from being perfect in my book.
LA Luna : 10 of 10 I'd put this up with the best PAM I've had easily.

Taste :

These two cigars had interestingly similar and different tastes throughout the length of the smoke. They both had similar chocolate, nutty, and coffee tastes. The CAO had a slightly spicy taste that started about mid way through. The La Luna had a smooth creamy taste that was consistent throughout the length of the smoke. The CAO was actually a bit stronger in my humble opinion, and was borderline harsh at one point. The CAO also had a slight cedar flavor that came out with the spiciness that the La Luna didn't present. The CAO differences may seam to make the La Luna a less complex smoke, and maybe it is. But the La Luna is the flavor I enjoyed the most.

CAO: 8 of 10 More complex and definitely a flavor I will put amongst my favorite.
La Luna : 10 of 10 This is the flavor I dream of when I think maduro.

Price:

Both cigars came in at a relatively similar price point. I paid two bucks more for the five pack of CAO, and both were right around 4 bucks a stick. Great values in the premium maduro market. Far under the 12 to 15 bucks a pop I give for PAM's, and I'd put either up against the same cigar for overall quality.

CAO: 8 of 10 Paid more but well worth the price.
La Luna: 9 of 10 Great smoke. Great value.

Overall Conclusion:

The La Luna Maduro Fuerte is my favorite cigar in any size. I CAO was a great smoke I'd recommend to anyone. I'll admit I smoked both cigars down to the point of burning my fingers, and they were great throughout. The La Luna is just what I personally think of as perfect when I go for a smoke. I am looking forward to trying out the CAO L'Anniversaire Extreme and Brazilia, both of which have me mesmerized. I will be adding as many boxes of CAO and La Luna smokes as I can afford, and if you like maduro's I recommend you do the same.

CAO: 24 of 30 Great cigar that I look forward to trying again and again.
La Luna: 29 of 30 My idea of the perfect cigar.

Ok, you can laugh now. The newbie’s first review is in the books. Hope you enjoy the info or at least a good laugh.

Your Pal,
Clone K

Bacon flavored cigars... Now there's an idea.
Surgeon General Clone K's Warning: Cigar smoking is probably bad for you, even if you don't inhale. Please send all of yours and any you encounter immediately to me, so I can dispose of them in an orderly fashion. Vote Clone K for Mooch of the Month!!
clone-k is offline   Reply With Quote