Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
rockace521
Herf God

Question for callus-fingered guitarists

I've been playing my uber-low action Strat for so long and practicing so little that I don't really have any calluses to speak of, but I've started back in on my finger-bustin intro-level Yamaha to rectify that situation. I've already practiced more this week than in any previous week since lessons began in October, and I still have 3 more days before my next lesson. Time to get serious! or get off the pot.

My question is this: If you have well-developed calluses, do you have to take any special precautions to avoid damaging them? Primarily I'm talking about things like washing dishes and bath/shower time. It seems like soaking callused skin long enough for pruning to occur could cause problems for people who want to keep the callused condition sturdy.

I only ask because I do alot of cooking and that invariably involves having my hands wet for a good while. Not to mention just the standard dish-washing that needs done on regular occasions.

So if you DO have thick calluses, do you wear gloves when doing dishes--if you do dishes or cook--or can you keep the calluses together with pruny fingertips? Just curious because even if I do wear gloves for long, it's starts getting sweaty in there and, voila, prune fingers. Just trying to get these fingertips hardened so playing that acoustic won't require 1000 psi to get the high E, B, and G strings to sustain a clear tone. It's killin me right now, but I want to keep the calluses strong and healthy once I get them.